MIM Tele bridge swap?

k4df4l

• Members

Since everyone likes shooting the {censored} on teles...

On some other sites I have noticed many MIM players claiming some substantial improvement in tone/sustain/you name it from swapping their stock 6 saddle MIM tele bridge for either a replacement fender 3 or $$$ aftermarket unit.

What say you if you have swapped just the bridge, what did you use and what did you notice? Anyone record any A/B clips for comparison rather than relying on memory?

• Members

Have two MIM. One has a compensated three brass saddle bridge. Though the necks are different (and now the pickups), when the pickups were closer to being the same, I think it had slightly more "twang" with the three saddle bridge. Not a huge difference, but it is noticible. Aesthetically, I love the look of the three saddle bridge. My six saddle will be staying stock though.

• Members

Originally posted by lowbrow

Have two MIM. One has a compensated three brass saddle bridge. Though the necks are different (and now the pickups), when the pickups were closer to being the same, I think it had slightly more "twang" with the three saddle bridge. Not a huge difference, but it is noticible. Aesthetically, I love the look of the three saddle bridge. My six saddle will be staying stock though.

Was the 3 saddle a swap or stock?

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

Was the 3 saddle a swap or stock?

Techincally a swap, but I got it that way. Fender ashtray with aftermarket brass compensateds. Had OEM Fender saddles for about 15 minutes, and then I stuck the compensateds on there. No diff, other than I was able to get it intonated.

One of the benefits of buying a MIM over a MIA tele is the older bridges are a direct bolt on replacement if you are so inclined. Not the case with MIA stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by lowbrow

Techincally a swap, but I got it that way. Fender ashtray with aftermarket brass compensateds. Had OEM Fender saddles for about 15 minutes, and then I stuck the compensateds on there. No diff, other than I was able to get it intonated.

One of the benefits of buying a MIM over a MIA tele is the older bridges are a direct bolt on replacement if you are so inclined. Not the case with MIA stuff.

dig...:thu:

I am curious to hear some feedback from folks that swapped a 3 saddle for an orig 6 on the same guit with no other modifications.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

Did the swap with a Wilkinson 3 saddle brass compensated. Functionally, I think it is superior to the MIM 6 saddle.

Tonally? eh....

How is it functionally superior? Did you go Stew Mac? How much? I have the barrells but not compensated.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

How is it functionally superior? Did you go Stew Mac? How much? I have the barrells but not compensated.

Functionally I pref it because setting up the bridge was a snap that prb took less than two minutes with spot on intonation and easy height adj. I had a sympathetic vibration on the stocker from the first and second string saddle rubbing together, which when you look at the design and tollerances, is easy to see why.

I got it off ebay for 29 bucks shipped. GFS carries the same bridge for a similar price.

• Members

While it is a bit pricier than most, the Callaham bridge and brass saddles, increased tone and sustain 10 fold. One of the best I've tried. The Callaham also is notched on the Hi E side to get your fingers in there.

Glendale Guitars makes a great set of saddles and bridges as well now. I'll be getting these for my '83 Tele.

Here's my MIM '95 Telecaster Special with the Callaham setup...

TeleSpecial1995b.jpg

• Members

I thought the same thing till I played one of these before hand. The old 6 saddle and bridge sounded plunky next to this. This guitar ends up being used more than any other now on records and live gigs.

• Members

Originally posted by AndyZ

I thought the same thing till I played one of these before hand. The old 6 saddle and bridge sounded plunky next to this. This guitar ends up being used more than any other now on records and live gigs.

I am glad you found the investment worthwhile:thu: I OTOH, would not have considering that the guitar already has enough sustain and "tone" to my satisfaction (which was one of the reasons I choose it in the first place);)

Archived