2 Channel Mic Pre for Overheads

• Members

Well. I have come down with a touch of GAS. I am thinking about buying a 2 channel pre for overheads. This is for a hobby studio so I am not looking to spend more than $400.

I use the "Recordeman" technique and track with a pair of Samson C02s into a Firepod. I am actually happy with the C02s. For the cash they are great.

I guess I am looking for something that would be an upgrade over the Firepod pres. Obviously, FMR RNP is an option but I would appreciate some suggestions and opinions. If you would recomend the FMR lets hear why.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I'd recommend the RNP because it sounds beautiful and clear and open, not pinched. I don't know how it compares to the Firepod since I've never heard the Firepod.

I have the FMR RNP, and it sits comfortably alongside a Peavey VMP-2 and a Neve Portico, neither of which is a shabby mic pre. I'm happy to use it right alongside those two. I own two, and I think they're great. Really great when you consider the cheap price.

• Members

Another option would be the Sytek. I see them used every so often for $600. I know its $200 more than your budget, but it works great for OH's, it's 4 channels, and most of them have 2 channels with different op-amps for slightly different tone.

• Moderators

I use my RNP for overs all the time and it works well. Compared to the API it has its slight shortcomings... but for the price it is a steal. If you're interested in what the diff is I'd be glad to fill you in but, who cares really. The price gap is huge. On your budget you can't go wrong.

I'm not saying anything that hasn't been been 1000+ times on the internets but... for the coin the unit works great.

I'm still a big fan of the Rane too though. A couple of those come in cheaper and they sound great. As good to my ears.

• Members

Well, honestly, to get a "better" dual-channel preamp than the RNP, you're going to be spending a lot of money. :) I have preamps from Focusrite, API, Great River, etc... and the two RNPs in my home studio still see a LOT of use. Bang for the buck, they rank off the chart.

• Members

I'd almost be more inclined to spend that money on better mics. you could find a used pair of sm81s maybe. GT33s, AT4041s, Rode. while the preamp might help, it'll only show that those Co2s are a bit harsh and smeary sounding...and the preamps you have arent awful by any means.

• Members

The thing is that the whole signal chain has to be solid, from the actual source (obviously) to the converters and everything in between. Any improvement anywhere along the chain - especially at the source - will yield big improvements in the quality of the sound.

Archived