How do you get a good bass recording and mix that really cuts through the mix?

• Members

This is so true.

I recorded a jam band. The players were all so good. The bass player very good too. The thing is... he used a 6 string bass. Hmmph. He'd play these lines in the pocket but the strings were so close together he couldn't properly mute the ringing unused strings. It took me a little while to figure why the bass was muddy. It wasn't eq... it was the technique. At that point there's not much you can do.

I've never owned a six or five string, but I have played on them. They are different animal. A lot of sympathetic ringing and droning, The muting technique definitely takes a learning curve. I've seen many player use those fuzzy hair bands that your daughters use for ponytails. They put it around the strings up by the headstock just next to the nut. It just ever so slightly damps the strings, and prevents sympathetic ringing and droning. It works very well without killing the tone of the strings. Anyway something to consider the next time you get a six stringer with sympathetic muting issue. Its very difficult, IMO to keep a six string quiet.

• Members

Start with a good bass player playing a good bass line. Give him a p-bass and plug him into an API preamp. Start recording. :)

No, seriously, I'm way oversimplifying. It totally depends on the sound you're going for, the type of music, the way the other instruments, etc. That new-strings zing you hear on a lot of Guns n' Roses stuff sounds great with them, but it wouldn't work at all in AC/DC, right?

But the most important part is to have a good bass player playing a good line on a decent instrument. If you've got that, recording it becomes a LOT easier.

• Moderators

I've seen many player use those fuzzy hair bands that your daughters use for ponytails. They put it around the strings up by the headstock just next to the nut. It just ever so slightly damps the strings, and prevents sympathetic ringing and droning. It works very well without killing the tone of the strings. Anyway something to consider the next time you get a six stringer with sympathetic muting issue.

You know... that's something I've never thought about before. Listening for that while setting up a tracking session. I think I will going forward. It's not something that jumps out at you while you're getting thigs going. But at mixtime?!?!?! Ahhgggghhhrrrgh! I like the hair band idea. Never would've thought to oput it at the nut. I've done a sponge at the bridge though. I like your idea. Thanks...

• Moderators

You can also try a noise gate unless its really aweful.

Yeah, but what I'm talking about is the ring that occurs during another note you want. The guy's playing an A but his open D string is ever so slightly ringing, almost inaudible, while the wanted A is trying to speak. Nothing will fix that. It's now just a muddy A note.

• Members

that why I mute with both hands.

Yeah, but what I'm talking about is the ring that occurs during another note you
want.
The guy's playing an A but his open D string is ever so slightly ringing, almost inaudible, while the
wanted
A is trying to speak. Nothing will fix that. It's now just a muddy A note.

• Members

Wonder if a wide rubber band hanging over the nut a littel might do the same thing.

I dont have a need for it myself. I've learned to use both the left and right hands/fingers to deaden strings when notes arent being played. Again this is a technique thing. Lifting strings off the frets to create rests between notes to shorten their duration is another key item to use.

• Members

Thats a techniuqe I use prominently.

Wonder if a wide rubber band hanging over the nut a littel might do the same thing.

I dont have a need for it myself. I've learned to use both the left and right hands/fingers to deaden strings when notes arent being played. Again this is a technique thing.
Lifting strings off the frets to create rests between notes to shorten their duration is another key item to use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My main instrument is bass - the comments on technique are valid. Timing is important too, as it's tough to mix a part that doesn't lock in.

As far as the studio side goes... You didn't mention the type of bass. Fender P or J basses work. Always found them easy to record. My foray with other more exotic basses - sound great soloed, but tougher to blend in a track.

Bass Pod patches are hyped, bass heavy. Once again, sounds good solo, tough to blend in a track. Your bass recorded direct with a little compression and mild eq is closer to what's on many records than the Bass Pod.

If you have an amp, give it a try. Even if it's an guitar amp (just don't turn it up very loud). A little grit can help it cut through.

Old strings, or playing with fingers aren't the reason for the bass not cutting through.

Hope this helps.

js

• Members

I've used a Bass Pod several times, and they work fine. You can dial in the sound that you want, check it against the other instruments, and you should be fine. Find a patch you like, and then tweak it to your liking. And you can use a HP filter to get rid of some of the bottom end if it's too much.

You know what's surprisingly good is a Roland Bass Cube 30, either for micing or for going direct. It's shockingly good. I also use it for micing keyboards. Really useful, easy to get good bass sounds (again, either miced or direct), and it has numerous bass amp models for dialing in the sound a little more, and has EQ, compression, and more. I've had a lot of people bring in bass amps, and they end up using that little Roland Cube. For $300, it's a good bargain.

• Members

You can always cheat like the pros do, and use a bass amp plug in like Ampeg SVX I know there's a lot of producers and SE's that use it on a lot of today's music. Works even good on cheap bass guitar. Blows the POD's and most of the bass DI's away trust me you won't be disappointed if your a bass player. :thu:

• Moderators

You can always cheat like the pros do, and use a bass amp plug in like Ampeg SVX I know there's a lot of producers and SE's that use it on a lot of today's music. Works even good on cheap bass guitar. Blows the POD's and most of the bass DI's away trust me you won't be disappointed if your a bass player.
:thu:

I used an SVX on an entire album and loved the tone. After miking the guy's SVT 4x10 setup and not catching the fact that his eq choices were less than optimum, I ran the DI, post, through the IK plug and it's very good.

He loved the way his amp sounded. :)

• Members

I like a good bass tone as much as the next guy/gal, but I've never thought of the bass as something that needs to "cut through" anything in a mix or in a band. When I mix a bass track into a mix, I tend to keep it at the point where it's providing the bottom end "umph" required, but never try to force it "through" a mix... if that makes sense. Thoughts?

Coming to you from a bassist. :)

• Members

I like a good bass tone as much as the next guy/gal, but I've never thought of the bass as something that needs to "cut through" anything in a mix or in a band. When I mix a bass track into a mix, I tend to keep it at the point where it's providing the bottom end "umph" required, but never try to force it "through" a mix... if that makes sense. Thoughts?

Coming to you from a bassist.
:)

Depends entirely on the song. :) Sometimes it needs to be holding down the bottom end and sort of in the background; sometimes it needs to cut through and be clearly audible. It just depends.

• Members

For me it this (in this order)

Player technique

How good the bass sounds

New strings

Amp or preamp or software modeler (I just can't get into the whole DI thing)

Pinch of EQ

Dash of compression (depending, sometimes I dun need it)

I'll have them use a pick if we are trying for that metally pingy attack that lands in the upper 1-6k range, if it's a more laid back rock track then finger picking it is.

• Members

Coming to you from a bassist.

I was assuming that the person meant, rather than being virtually inaudible or reduced to a rumble, that the bass is clearly supporting the bottom end and is well-defined, with all its character and tone intact even with all the other instruments in the mix.

• Members

Depends entirely on the song.
Sometimes it needs to be holding down the bottom end and sort of in the background; sometimes it needs to cut through and be clearly audible. It just depends.

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes there's a distinct bassline that really needs to stand out, other times it just needs to be holding down the bottom end. It's the same with any instrument, really - different songs and parts require different areas of "focus" in the mix.

• Members

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes there's a distinct bassline that really needs to stand out, other times it just needs to be holding down the bottom end.

I agree with you and MrJoshua also. Might it be Chris Squier or Robert Trujillo (or any other bassist for Metallica)?

• Members

I dont have a need for it myself. I've learned to use both the left and right hands/fingers to deaden strings when notes arent being played. Again this is a technique thing.
Lifting strings off the frets to create rests between notes to shorten their duration is another key item to use.

Exactly! Good left hand muting (for a righty player) will stop any unwanted notes ringing out. I've also gotten into the habit of using my pinky finger on my right hand. Also, the cleanest nicest bass tone I've ever recorded was with one of my basses that has tapewound strings. It sounded deep and tight with just a little bite. :)

Archived