Emergency Help, How to change sample rate is a Pro Tools Session

• Members

Hey. I run a Digi 02 rack, and a digimax fs. At the beginning of the session some how the sample rate is the session, and the sample rate on the digimax fs got set to 2 different settings. The Pro Tools session was set to 48, and the digimax fs was set to 44.1. So as long as I keep the digimax FS on, the play back speed is correct, but when I bounce the session down it bounces it down at the session sample rate of 48 which speeds up the session a lot. Is there anyway I can change the sample rate of the session in pro tools to 44.1. So the bounce down track will actual be the correct speed. Thanks for any help!

File / Save As... save the session as a copy to another location on your hard drive, and make sure you select the option that copies the actual audio files. You can set the sample rate of the new copy to a different rate than the source session. Pro Tools automatically does the SRC (sample rate conversion) for you when it copies everything over.

• Moderators

I didn't know that. So... in the Save As process, it'll convert all files to the new sample rate you've chosen? Is that what you're saying? That's pretty cool if I've got you right.

I'll try to remember that for future eff-ups...

• Members

Keep in mind that if you do Sample Rate Conversion, you'll be speeding up the files again.

Make a new session, at 44.1kHz. Import the data (including all the tracks) from your old session. Clear the checkbox for "SRC" when it comes up. That will import the files and mark them as 44.1kHz without attempting to convert them.

• Moderators

Keep in mind that if you do Sample Rate Conversion, you'll be speeding up the files again.

Make a new session, at 44.1kHz. Import the data (including all the tracks) from your old session. Clear the checkbox for "SRC" when it comes up. That will import the files and mark them as 44.1kHz without attempting to convert them.

But won't that then play them back slower and lower in pitch? Now I'm confused. :confused:

• Members

But won't that then play them back slower and lower in pitch? Now I'm confused.
:confused:

What happened here was that ProTools was clocked from his external preamp/converter, which was set at 44.1kHz. However, when he originally created the session, he set it at 48kHz. So the actual clock rate was 44.1kHz, but ProTools THOUGHT it was 48kHz.

All of the audio files were therefore recorded at 44.1kHz, but marked as being 48kHz.

He doesn't need to convert the sample rate on the files. He just needs to get them into a 44.1kHz session so they can be played back at the proper rate, and new parts will be recorded at the same sample rate as these existing tracks.

Make sense? :) I've done the same thing before.

What happened here was that ProTools was clocked from his external preamp/converter, which was set at 44.1kHz. However, when he originally created the session, he set it at 48kHz. So the actual clock rate was 44.1kHz, but ProTools THOUGHT it was 48kHz.

I should read things more closely :o - I thought he had created and CLOCKED a session at 48 kHz and wanted it changed over to 44.1 kHz, in which case, what I suggested is the way to go about fixing it. If it was indeed a 48 kHz session, but was clocked at 44.1 kHz, then the actual files were recorded at 44.1 - as MrJoshua said, you just need to import session data from the existing, 48 kHz session into a new, 44.1 kHz session.

Create a new session and make sure it's set for 44.1. Once you have that open, you don't need to create any tracks - just import session data, and select all the files from the other session - leave the SRC option UNselected, as MrJoshua said, and you should be good to go.

• Members

The time I did this, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. :D Because everything sounded great on this one particular song, and we finished tracking for the night. I saved everything, bounced down to disk a rough copy, sent the rest of the band home with CDs, and went to bed. The next morning I started getting phone calls from the rest of the band about the sound being messed up ... but it sounded right in ProTools!

It took about an hour before I noticed that the Apogee was set to the wrong sample rate. :) Now I know what to look for - when you have the external clock set to a different rate than the internal ProTools session, the sample rate light on the front of the 002Rack (and I assume other Digi interfaces) blinks instead of glowing steadily.

Thankfully it didn't take long to fix, but man was I sweating there for a while. :) Also thankfully, it was a session with me and some friends. This isn't a paying gig for me.

• 1 month later...

Archived