What microphones you recommend to record electric guitar

• Members

Presently I am using a 30 year old Shure 56 to record my 50 watt Hot rod Deluxe and American Fender Strat it has a 1 "10" speaker and sometimes my room mic is Studio Project large condenser C-1.

Are you sure it's not a 12" speaker?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finally, I've got a shinybox 46 with the cinemag transformer. I generally use that with EQ on the way in to get it closer to what I like to hear in the mix.

This is the Shinybox I use a lot. It's probably my most-used guitar cab mic. I have one with the standard transformer too, but it doesn't get used much. Mostly because I broke the mount for it and just haven't fixed it yet. :facepalm: I keep forgetting about it, and then I want to use the mic and realize the mount is broken and remind myself to fix it, and then I forget about it again until the next time I want to use the mic. It's a vicious cycle.

I have a pair of Cascade Fathead II mics with Lundahl transformers, and I think they sound great on guitars, but they tend to stay set up in a mid/side or Blumlein arrangement for the drums most of the time. They sound great with drums through the Great River preamps.

• Members

I'll also use the EV635a (I got a pair for $20 at an electronics swap meet). Those are very ribbon-like. They're weak in the low end, though, even when you consider there's no proximity effect.

I've not found them too weak in the low end. Then again they are not my first choice on bass sources either. Although they do have a pretty wide range I would pick them over a 57 any day of the week.

If you find the 635a to be "very ribbon-like" check out the EV RE-15. It was designed to replace the RCA 77's as the standard mic used in broadcasting (and it did). Very ribbon like, and SPL friendly. Wallet friendly too (at least used to be). I use these and RE-18's all over the place anywhere I would have used a 421 in the past, built like little bricks and can take a lot of abuse.

• Members

Originally Posted by brian123

My 50 watt Hot rod Deluxe has a 1 "10" speaker

Are you sure it's not a 12" speaker?

Yeah your right its a 12" speaker not 10" inch speaker.

Everybody talks about rnp being a nice pre amp for decent price. Anybody can explain how mic pre the Summit is different it only has one imput. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2BA221/ Anybody use the Summit mic pre in this Sweetwater link?

Brian

• Members

I haven't used the Summit, but one difference would be that the Summit has a "tube output stage" while the RNP is a solid-state device. Honestly, I'm a little leery of most "tube" devices in that price range. The tube is usually just stuck in there as a gimmick and doesn't really do anything. The Groove Tubes "The Brick" is about the cheapest "real" tube preamp around, and it's a solid piece of gear if you just want something with tubes in it.

The RNP gets talked about a lot because it's a cheap, solid, dependable preamp that sounds clean and will give you a decent recording of just about anything.

• Members

I've not found them too weak in the low end. Then again they are not my first choice on bass sources either. Although they do have a pretty wide range I would pick them over a 57 any day of the week.

If you find the 635a to be "very ribbon-like" check out the EV RE-15. It was designed to replace the RCA 77's as the standard mic used in broadcasting (and it did). Very ribbon like, and SPL friendly. Wallet friendly too (at least used to be). I use these and RE-18's all over the place anywhere I would have used a 421 in the past, built like little bricks and can take a lot of abuse.

I'll check that out. My EV635a's appear to be 30 years old--which might contribute to the muted response I'm hearing.

• Members

I really like a 545/546, use an R84 quite a bit.... and a 57 always works in a pinch.

I thought the 546 had the "pistol grip", and that the 545 would most likely be what Sinatra used but ya never know.

The Beta 52 is a cool choice if you want high end emphasis.

The observation about the 545 and the Beach Boys is right on. If you do backing vocs with a decent ribbon, and the lead with a 545, and "maybe" even cup your hands around your mouth as appropriate (adds a bit different tone)... you will nail the Beach Boys vibe, provided the song and arrangement caters to that.

• Members

It's either an Electro Voice ND468 or an AEA R84 (using the back side for a somewhat brighter sound). Depends on what I can fit into the mix...R84 for big and 468 for tight and small. The Heil PR30 is another great reach.

There are tons of mics that do a great job but these get the job most times.

War

• Members

My personal favorite is this:

DD_R-121_On_Cab1_LG.jpg

Gives me wood.

um yes.

totally ripping this basic setup off once writing's done and i can knuckle down on recording. so far i'm 2/3, i've got the 421 U5 and i'll likely swap an audix i5 for the 57.

trying to track down somebody with the cascade gomez that michael joly helped design so i can find out how it holds up to the royer. $500 i could do, the $8+ for a used 121 is a little steep right now.

• Members

I usually use an SM57 or a Stedman LD50, which is sort of similar to an SM57. If I can't get close to what I want with one of those, I also have a CAD Trion7000 ribbon mic. Normally the 57 or the LD50 will get me where I need to be, though. The 57 is not a "boutiquey" mic in any way, and it's not the latest fad, but it got it's reputation as a great guitar mic for a good reason. You may not always get the best sound with it, but you can nearly always get a good sound with it.

• Moderators

My personal favorite is this:

DD_R-121_On_Cab1_LG.jpg

Gives me wood.

I like my 121 a lot better since someone here suggesting using the rear side of the microphone instead of the front. If I hadn't read that on the forums here, my 121 would probably have stayed in its little wooden box until after my demise when my wife would probably sell it for $50. :o

Terry D.

um yes.

totally ripping this basic setup off once writing's done and i can knuckle down on recording. so far i'm 2/3, i've got the 421 U5 and i'll likely swap an audix i5 for the 57.

trying to track down somebody with the cascade gomez that michael joly helped design so i can find out how it holds up to the royer. $500 i could do, the $8+ for a used 121 is a little steep right now.

You could try the Beyer M160 or the Groove Tubes Velo 8 - I really like both of those ribbons on guitar cabinets...

• Members

You could try the Beyer M160 or the Groove Tubes Velo 8 - I really like both of those ribbons on guitar cabinets...

The ShinyBox 46MXC and the Cascade Fathead II with Lundahl upgrade are also great ribbon mics on guitar cabs. :) The standard ShinyBox 46MX also works well, but it's a bit darker while the MXC has a more extended top end, at least to my ears. My Cascades usually stay on the drums as room/overhead mics, though, while the ShinyBox is almost always on a short stand for guitar cabs.

• Members

The SM57 was my go-to mic of choice for hard rock or heavey guitar tones. After trying an SM7 I have yet to use the 57 again.

SM7 + The Brick = Killer

I am looking at grabbing a ribbon mic to try out. Most likely a FatHead. If it can beat the above combo I will be very impressed.

• Members

I recorded some guitars this past weekend that sounded great - probably the best "heavy" guitar sound I've recorded yet. My Ibanez dual-humbucker and Fender Tele through a Mesa Studio Preamp into a Crown XLS-602 power amp and a Marshall 2x12 cab, an SM-57 on the edge of one speaker cone at about a 45-degree angle, plugged into a Chandler Germanium preamp into an Apogee Rosetta 200.

But really, it just depends on what sounds you're after, what other gear you're using, how it needs to sit in the mix, mic placement, etc etc... I've been very happy with recordings I've made using a 57, my ShinyBox 46MXC ribbon, a Cascade Fathead II ribbon, my SM-7b, a 421... there are LOTS of options, and any of them can be very viable and turn out great recordings if you take the time to experiment a little with placement and use a decent preamp.

• Members

Of course, I neglected to actually answer the thread!
:D

57, 421, L251...and for the last year or whatever, Heil PR30, my new favorite guitar cab mic.

:thu: On the Heil PR-30 it replaced my SM57 for my studio work. I still own my SM57 but I use for playing out live only.

Archived