Mac or Window???

• Members

It's not the monitors you use, it's how well you know them.

That is very true up to a point, and it's always essential to know your monitors and what to expect from them. But if you're trying to hear frequencies that your monitors just don't have or can't deal with, it doesn't matter how familiar you are with them. Ditto if they cause ear fatigue.

You can often get good mixes with less than great monitors once you've become familiar with their idiosyncracies, it's true. But some monitors just plain suck, or at least aren't appropriate for the kind of material you're mixing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PS As far as monitors go, anyone who's been paying even the slightest bit of attention should know I'm a big fan of ADAM speakers.
:)
If you can't spring for a pair of A7's, check out the A5's. They're about twice your $400 budget point, but well worth it IMO.

Although you might want to use a sub for those....not very much bottom end. Phenomenal mids/highs, but very little bottom end, in my opinion.

• Members

Hey John,

Headphones aren't too bad an option if your find can't accommodate a great pair of monitors. I'd highly recommend you get yourself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro headphones. And later down the track get a pair of monitors like the Adam's or KRK or other

In regards to the 'it's not the monitors, it's how you use them'.. sure, that's true, kind of. More so I'd say that someone with a great pair of monitors won't necessarily produce great mixes if they don't how know to use them. On the other hand, if someone is a solid mix engineer and has a terrible pair of monitors, they may very well not be able to produce a good mix with them because they can't hear what they need to!

• Members

I didn't read all 5 pages here, but I just want to throw in that BOTH WILL HAVE STABILITY issues. I'm a PC tech and know about PC issues already, but that last 3 MACs I was near in a studio ALL had lock up / crach issues. These were $5000 new boxes, best of whatever Macs are. It was probably software whatever, but we never got through ONE SESSION with out something goofy happening. It's just how it is

• Members

So far my Mac's been smooth sailin'. I hope she keeps a steady course.

Received Native Instruments - Akoustic Piano today. Sounds great!

It won't be long now and I'll post something. Gotta wait for the East West Orchestra Gold samples yet.

Thanks again for all the help you guys gave me.

I'm going the headphone route until I can bare the pain of putting out for those Adam monitors. I ordered these headphones today: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-K271-MKII-Headphones?sku=241831

Hope they do the job for awhile.

Best, John:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

wow.. that's fantastic!

Completely different to anything else we tend to hear here, but I think it's great! I'm not a huge one for classical music (I tend to find it overwhelming, very overwhelming, in just about any capacity) - but I can always appreciate a talented musician. Good work!

Which parts were sampled / mic'd / played (like keyboard direct in) ?

• Members

wow.. that's fantastic!

Completely different to anything else we tend to hear here, but I think it's great! I'm not a huge one for classical music (I tend to find it overwhelming, very overwhelming, in just about any capacity) - but I can always appreciate a talented musician. Good work!

Which parts were sampled / mic'd / played (like keyboard direct in) ?

Thanks Coschi!

All sampled. I only using a MIDI interface (haven't added the audio interface yet).

Best, John:cool:

Archived