Mac or Window???

• Members

Here's my basic DAW set-up:

IMac -24"-3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory

Logic Pro 8

East West Orchestra Gold samples

Native Instruments Akoustik Piano samples

Motif ES8 (I'm looking around for the mLan interface)

It's up & running, but I'm waiting for the samples to arrive. Should be here by Saturday.

Best, John:cool:

John

I think your set up looks awesome, the only thing I do not understand is your interface selection. Would you be more specific on what are you looking to do with the interface? If you are just looking for right now to use your motif as acontroller you could just buy the midi to USB cables for 50 bucks. If you are looking to record additional instruments/vocals but not at the same time an apogee duet would suffice.

Let us know

Take care!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John

I think your set up looks awesome, the only thing I do not understand is your interface selection. Would you be more specific on what are you looking to do with the interface? If you are just looking for right now to use your motif as acontroller you could just buy the midi to USB cables for 50 bucks. If you are looking to record additional instruments/vocals but not at the same time an apogee duet would suffice.

Let us know

Take care!

Hi Orbm,

Yes, I have it set-up now for just MIDI through the USB port (working well). I did have to download drivers for it. Eventually I'd like to add an audio interface as well.

The mLan audio interface was made specifically for the Motif (there's a slot for it in back of the Motif). However, the mLan isn't made anymore and they are near impossible to find (availability being in the "used" category only).

I'll consider the "apogee duet" if I can't locate a mLAN16e.

Best, John:)

• Members

See if you can track down a used Yamaha i88X. It;s a very nice sounding audio interface with lots of inputs and outputs, two really nice sounding mic preamps, MIDI and... mLAN.
:)

I really like mine. :phil:

Phil,

I see the Yamaha i88X has been discontinued as well.

Someone from Tenn. just replied in a Motifactor forum. He has a mLan still in the box for sale. I have to give the guy that started the thread the first crack at it though. If he doesn't want it, I'll probably see how much he wants for it.

The Apogee Duet looks like a good buy. I may go with that.

• Members

lol.. sorry jb but you just can't go sticking a pair of Behringers next to a nice mac like that

Honestly, monitors are an extremely important part of the setup, so you'll do well to wait a little more and get something really decent. Buy cheap, buy twice. You may like them for a few months but 6 months down the track you'll realise some critical downfalls, probably common to any 'budget' monitors and be looking to buy a better pair. So much better if you deal even with internal or PC speakers for a bit just while you're getting to learn your new setup (good choice btw!) and then when the funds are up splash out and get something you'll enjoy listening to rather than struggle listening to

What kind of music are you playing? and how big is the room your setup is in?

I can't recommend the KRK VXT 6 strongly enough, very nice monitor

People keep mentioning that the new Yamaha HS50m or HS80m are great

• Members

lol.. sorry jb but you just can't go sticking a pair of Behringers next to a nice mac like that

Honestly, monitors are an extremely important part of the setup, so you'll do well to wait a little more and get something really decent. Buy cheap, buy twice. You may like them for a few months but 6 months down the track you'll realise some critical downfalls, probably common to any 'budget' monitors and be looking to buy a better pair. So much better if you deal even with internal or PC speakers for a bit just while you're getting to learn your new setup (good choice btw!) and then when the funds are up splash out and get something you'll enjoy listening to rather than struggle listening to

What kind of music are you playing? and how big is the room your setup is in?

I can't recommend the KRK VXT 6 strongly enough, very nice monitor

People keep mentioning that the new Yamaha HS50m or HS80m are great

Thanks Coschi!

I'll check out your suggestion. I'll be doing a lot of orchestra projects. But also some simple piano solos. It's a 12' by 14' room (carpeted).

I was looking at these Mackies as well: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR8/

A little more expensive, but I think I can swallow that.

John:cool:

• Members

You're recording orchestras and pianos, and you want ultra-cheap monitors?

I can't possibly be the only one who finds this strange, right?

I realize you have a budget and all, but what kind of monitors for $4-500 would be able to reproduce an orchestra or a piano accurately? Would it be better to get headphones and buy monitors later if you can't afford them now? I just hate to see people throwing $500 at something and then having to get something that actually does the job later...waste of $500 when that could have been better spent on nicer mic preamps or towards a nice pair of mics or whatever.

• Members

You're recording orchestras and pianos, and you want ultra-cheap monitors?

I can't possibly be the only one who finds this strange, right?

I realize you have a budget and all, but what kind of monitors for $4-500 would be able to reproduce an orchestra or a piano accurately? Would it be better to get headphones and buy monitors later if you can't afford them now? I just hate to see people throwing $500 at something and then having to get something that actually does the job later...waste of $500 when that could have been better spent on nicer mic preamps or towards a nice pair of mics or whatever.

Yeah, I guess I'm a little naive Ustad.

This is probably more in line with my projects: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-VXT8-Powered-Studio-Monitor?sku=601075

Best, John:cool:

• Members

Seems to me like that would be demanding work, figuring out good mic placement...you'd need to really hear what you are going for.

I do like the JBL LSR28Ps, and the 4328 is a successor of the LSR28, I believe. There was a link for this on the page that you linked to...probably completely blowing your budget, though. ADAM A7 actives + a subwoofer might be good.

You probably shouldn't talk to me anymore, though, because I'm going to blow your budget.

Does anyone have any really good suggestions for something appropriate for orchestras and pianos that are not expensive as my suggestions? Am I on crack for suggesting really nice monitors for these applications? :D

• Members

I've heard the Adam's A7's and like them. I don't own any though (they're on my "to buy" list). I do remember them being pretty popular around here a while back. They're more like $500 each though.

Also I don't have a clue about recording orchestras, but from what I've gathered it's usually only 4-6 really high end mics through some really high end pres. IMO that would necessitate really high end monitors. In the long run it would be cheaper to "Aim High" if this is what you intend to record IMHO.

• Members

Right. And I was thinking that if you don't have isolation from the orchestra anyway, perhaps really good solid headphones would be a necessity. And thankfully, good headphones are cheaper than monitors...and easier to carry around!!! I mean, I love my A7s and all, but I can't fit them in a small bag!!! :D

And in addition to what you guys said above, I also think that if you are only using a handful of microphones, you really really need to hear how the sound changes when altering your mic placement. That's crucial. I mean, it's crucial no matter what you are doing, but with the amount of sound coming from an orchestra, I would think it'd be essential to really hear how everything is being affected.

Now, I say all this, and I admit that I've only done one orchestra and one choir (although I have done live sound for some orchestral instruments and more esoteric sorts of things, such as 10-ft. Tibetan horns and twangy Tibetan banjos!!). I do mostly rock, pop, and experimental at my studio. Nevertheless, I don't think I'm too far off the mark here.

• Members

Seems to me like that would be demanding work, figuring out good mic placement...you'd need to really hear what you are going for.

I do like the JBL LSR28Ps, and the 4328 is a successor of the LSR28, I believe. There was a link for this on the page that you linked to...probably completely blowing your budget, though. ADAM A7 actives + a subwoofer might be good.

You probably shouldn't talk to me anymore, though, because I'm going to blow your budget.

Does anyone have any really good suggestions for something appropriate for orchestras and pianos that are not expensive as my suggestions? Am I on crack for suggesting really nice monitors for these applications?
:D

I think there was a misunderstanding here. Probably my fault. I didn't mean a "live" orchestra. It's orchestra samples. Either way, I understand that I need good monitors.

• Members

With the risk of being laughed at... I would recommend the m-audio Bx8a deluxe. They are very nice and the reason I don't have them is because my room is not big enough. I have the Bx5a deluxe and love them. They are not the supra best, but they are the best in that price range. I could hook you up with my salesman in sweetwater who rocks and will give you the best price possible, and maybe he'll let you get the a7 for a decent price.

Take care and good luck!

• Members

Just a small point to make on some of the comments that were made about PC's and audio glitches, having to tweak the OS a lot, etc.: PC's are not all the same, and if you're going to get a PC based DAW I do NOT recommend getting one from the big name manufacturers e.g. Dell, HP, etc. They all come with a proprietary OEM version of Windows that is loaded with crap you don't need and hogs your system resources. And it does take hours to get rid of it all.

You can buy parts and build your own system (or pay someone to put it together for you) and end up with a much better quality system for the same money. And a standard Windows license without all the crap in it. There are plenty of shops around that build custom PC's for people and will even source all the parts for you if you don't want to be bothered with it. Some of them specialize in building PC's for audio and can do all the OS tweaks for you (which again, aren't many if you aren't using a lame OEM version).

If it were me, I'd do that and use the money I saved vs. buying a Mac, to get good monitors. ;) Nothing against Macs, but they ARE more expensive, and like Phil, I like to know I can fix my machine myself on short notice.

PC's are not all the same, and if you're going to get a PC based DAW I do NOT recommend getting one from the big name manufacturers e.g. Dell, HP, etc. They all come with a proprietary OEM version of Windows that is loaded with crap you don't need and hogs your system resources. And it does take hours to get rid of it all.

And to that excellent point I'd like to add that their hardware is sometimes proprietary too. You can sometimes run into issues due to that...

Like Lee said, you can always build your own machine, and if that is a daunting task, most local vendors, or even mail order / web shops like www.newegg.com will do it for you, based on the parts you specify, for a nominal fee.

I have nothing against Macs either - I'm typing this on my new 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook. But as I said, I want to be able to fix my main DAW myself in the event of a problem, with parts sourced locally and without the service center turn around time. YMMV.

PS As far as monitors go, anyone who's been paying even the slightest bit of attention should know I'm a big fan of ADAM speakers. :) If you can't spring for a pair of A7's, check out the A5's. They're about twice your $400 budget point, but well worth it IMO.

Archived