Your package is on time...

• Members

...with an expected delivery date of Thursday, 6/04/09.
:thu:
New preamp day coming up for me. Neve, baby!
:rawk:

I picked up a Portico 5012 two-channel mic preamp from eBay. It should be here Thursday. I'm excited.
:D

Freakin' killer. I want one so bad but I keep telling myself to just save the money and keep working to get better with what I have, and it'll make that purchase even sweeter.

Have fun with it.

• Members

So far I've only had a chance to use it on one electric guitar track. Nice. :) I recorded my Fender "Highway 1" Strat through my Orange "Tiny Terror" amp and Avatar 2x12 cab with a Shinybox 46MXC ribbon mic plugged into the Neve and then into an Apogee Rosetta 200 converter.

Nice. :thu: I'm going to need more time playing around with it, but I definitely like what I hear thus far. I think this is going to be a really solid addition to the studio.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Figured I'd update this now that I've had a chance to use the preamp a bit more. :) So far I'm still very pleased with the purchase. I'm tracking a band right now and using it in silk mode for the bass DI (which is blended with a bass mic track I'm recording with an Audix D6 through the Groove Tubes SuPRE) and the drum room mic (an AKG C-414 B/XLS in omni mode), and it just flat sounds good. The bass is a MIA Fender Jazz plugged into a Radial DI box, and it sounds fat and punchy through the Neve. It's just the right sound for fattening up the effected sounds on the bass mic track, and this bass player uses a lot of effects. The clean DI signal really helps the sound sit right in the mix. On the drums, I'm squashing the room mic half to death and then bringing it up underneath the overheads to thicken the sound up a little and I'm very pleased with the results thus far.

I'll probably try it with electric guitar again when we start overdubbing, but right now I'm still in love with the way the Chandler Germanium sounds with guitar cabs. We'll see, though. I've been running the guitarist's head to two speaker cabs in two different rooms. One cab has a ShinyBox 46MX ribbon on it through an FMR RNP. The other has a 57 through a Groove Tubes "The Brick" preamp and a ShinyBox 46MXC ribbon through the Chandler Germanium. The ribbon through the Chandler has this fat rock tone that just sounds great, while the 57 through the Brick has that good midrange bite that a 57 does so well. The two signals blend nicely. The 46MX on the other cab is being used as an alternate sound in case I want something a little darker-sounding (the MX is a fair bit darker than the MXC, IMO) brought in to beef up the low end without going to EQ. And, well, it just seemed like something interesting to try. Will it be useful? We'll see.

All in all, the Neve has definitely found a place in the studio and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better in the future. :D

• Members

Great update, very interesting!!!! I've heard nothing but froth-at-the-mouth great things about the Chandler, so comparing the two should prove quite interesting as well.

For bass, a Heil PR30 (which is allegedly somewhat similar sonically to a ribbon, although not a ribbon) on a bass cabinet going through the Neve in Silk Mode and then through an FMR RNLA doesn't suck. Good fat tone.

• Members

Well, I don't know that I'm frothing at the mouth about the Chandler, but it is a very solid piece of gear. :) It's the only preamp I own (especially with the "thick" mode engaged) where I feel like I really need to worry about the bottom end building up and creating a lot of mud in the mix if I stack a lot of tracks with it. It seems to have a much heavier low end on it than anything else in my studio. Which is fine and sounds awesome; I just have to be careful to turn on the sub from time to time while I'm mixing and make sure I'm not missing something way down in the

The Neve feels like it has a more rounded tone. It also has plenty of bottom end, especially in "Silk" mode, but it doesn't seem to emphasize it the way the Germanium does. I'd say it's sort of halfway between the Great River preamps and the Chandler, sonically, if that makes any sense. I hate trying to describe sounds with words, especially with preamps since I'm describing how they effect a sound rather than the actual sound. But they all sound good and I wouldn't be leery of using them on anything I can think of.

Archived