Dumb sound treatment question...

• Members

Here is my how to photo journal of the ones in my studio:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10613

By the way all that 703 cost me less than $200.

Where at? I am seriously considering building my own panels now. This thread has my brain working. My dad is an architect/contractor guy so he has all the tools I could possibly ever need. I talked to him earlier about this thread and said he has lots of wood I'd be able to use for panels (and also the portable vocal booth ;)). I am now just wondering what kind of acoustic board/foam I should get. Right now I have 2 pieces of foam behind my studio monitors that I got for free. Bass traps and new panels are in store for me ASAP. As soon as I know what to get, I'm off and building it. Any help appreciated.

Owens Corning type 703 or type 705 semi-rigid compressed fiberglass, or mineral wool in similar thickness and density. The panels are 2'X4' in the USA, and their thickness is usually 2-4". Density is 3 - 6 lbs / Cu. Ft. The thicker you make the fiberglass, the better it will be at absorbing lower frequencies. Going 4" thick is pretty standard for wall panels and corner traps, although if you have the space to go 6", and / or can space the panels away from the wall a couple of inches, or mount them diagonally across the corners of the room, that's even better.

• Members

If I go with the Roxul 60 2" panels, I'd probably get 12 of them (2 orders.) The description on this stuff says "Like Owens Corning..." .. is it better to get the actual stuff? This isn't for any serious projects, I just want to get a decent sound in the room. Right now I have nothing. I would be able to hang them in 3 corners of the room away from the wall like Bushmaster did in his studio. The fourth corner is obstructed by the door frame. Is it possible to order 3 thicker ones instead of buying them 6 at a time? I could make the corner ones easily 6", but I'd probably keep the walls at 2". Also -- is there much of a difference between the fiber glass and mineral wool?

Roxul, Johns Manville - several companies make semi-rigid compressed fiberglass, and it's basically all the same as long as the density and thickness matches up with the Owens Corning materials. Unless you have a specific reason for it, I'd stay away from "faced" fiberglass, with paper on it.

• Members

Where at?

Can't remember witch one but it was one of these locations, they sold it in face or unfaced as well. :thu:

I'm pretty sure it was the first location.

Anyhow, if you google SPI insulation and look for a location near you they more than likely should have it/ can get it for you. I think there are locations in Rochester and Buffalo as well.

Syracuse, NY

6439 Deere Road

Syracuse, New York***13206

315-474-5190

315-474-7319 FAX

syracuse@spi-co.com

Syracuse, NY -- Richlar Industries

6741 Old Collamer Road

East Syracuse, New York***13057

315-463-5144

315-463-0362 FAX

richlar@spi-co.com

• Members

We built ours without frames.... we used a fabric called Ponte and made "pillow cases" for them (with the help from my sewing machine savvy girlfriend) and just popped them in and used velcro to pull the open end over and close it, then we took shelving brackets (the L shaped ones) and secured them to the walls and corners and ceilings and popped the panels in. Before that we tried using spray adhesive to wrap the panels with the ponte, kind of like wrapping a present, that worked ok sorta, as long as you weren't rough with them

• 1 year later...

Archived