UAD-1 going for much less now....

• Members

That sucks. They should make a unit that supports any vst. That would sell better.

There would be waaaay too many variables for them to do so and they're plugins are of extremely high quality. You having to buy their card to use their plugins actually makes more sense than them selling a processing card for you to put other people's plugs on. :confused:

Different question though... are there any alternatives to FX-Teleport that would run between Windows and a MAC? I have PCIe slots on my PC but my iMac obviously doesn't. Eventually I'll be getting a Mac Pro, but I'd love to have the UAD stuff in Logic now! :love:

• Members

Different question though... are there any alternatives to FX-Teleport that would run between Windows and a MAC? I have PCIe slots on my PC but my iMac obviously doesn't. Eventually I'll be getting a Mac Pro, but I'd love to have the UAD stuff in Logic now!
:love:

Doesn't Cubase/Nuendo have VST SystemLink? I don't think Logic has anything like this. Wormhole is abandoned. I think audioimpressions.com has AudioPort.

You could just have an audio interface on each computer, run digital audio between them, run the plugins in a host on one and work on the audio in a host on the other, with latency issues.

• Members

Doesn't Cubase/Nuendo have VST SystemLink? I don't think Logic has anything like this. Wormhole is abandoned. I think audioimpressions.com has AudioPort.

You could just have an audio interface on each computer, run digital audio between them, run the plugins in a host on one and work on the audio in a host on the other, with latency issues.

I'm on Logic, and my Apogee Duet doesn't do digiout.

• Members

8th Street Music shows a UAD-1e new for $999. Quite a drop from the old MSRP of $2,499. Dunno what street used to be, but surely that's a deal what with 21 plug-ins included.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=32122&Category=Software

BUT: I'm captive to the gospel of cheapness, mainly by my more-sensible-than-me wife, so I snagged the "Mackie" edition of the UAD-1 off eBay for $150. Which is pretty sweet methinks because not only do I get the Mix Essentials plugins, but the 1176LN and LA-2A full version plugs are included in the Mackie version.

FYI: a detail for anyone contemplating the Mackie version. Won't be of interest to anyone else. Per the UA rep on the UA website forum, when you buy the Mackie version UAD-1, you get the 1176LN and LA-2A as operational plugs on that card. But (listen closely here), you don't own the license to the 1176LN and LA-2A plugins per se. No, you don't have to pay additional $$ for the license, you can just use the Mackie card and these two plugins will work out of the box.

The hitch can come when you install a SECOND UAD board. You can't use the processing power of the second board to run instances of the 1176LN and LA-2A that came with the first Mackie card. Porque? Because you don't own the "licenses" of these two plugs. In other words, these plugins, when acquired with the Mackie cards, are hardwired to run only on that particular physical card (unlike the other "licensed" plugs which are dynamically allocated between however many cards are installed). For the second card, you'll have to purchase the licensed 1176LN and LA-2A plugs separately.

For me - no prob - I'll have only the one card most likely for some time.

anyway, happy birthday to me! Assuming the card arrives safe and sound...

nat whilk ii

Archived