UAD-1 going for much less now....

• Members

What's the common wisdom? Buy a reduced-price UAD-1 now? Or will it soon be obsolete?

Or just start out with the UAD-2?

The older PCI slots can still be had on new computers, so that's not an issue - yet.

Huge advantages to the UAD-2 (other than the sheer processing power per card)?

nat whilk ii

I'm not seeing them for sale "new" - if they're still available, I'm not sure where you'd source one from. Since the UAD-2 is out, I doubt the UAD-1 will be available for much longer; if it isn't discontinued already. As far as plug-in support, I would imagine you can still get them, although again, with the newer cards available, I don't we'll see much in terms of new development for the older cards.

All pure supposition and conjecture on my part though. :idk:

They're DSP cards that add additional computational power to your computer system beyond that available from the host's CPU alone. The UAD-1 was PCI, the UAD-2 is PCI-e. The 2 also has more computational "horsepower", and can run more and / or more complex plug-ins. You can run more than one card in your computer if you have the available slots, but I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on "mixing" the two types of cards (PCI / PCI-e) on the same system.

Like the Pro Tools HD Accel cards and the SSL Duende (a rack mounted firewire DSP unit) that I use, the plug-ins that run on the UAD cards have to be programmed specifically for those cards. You can not run your favorite VST plug-ins on their processors.

• Members

UAD-1 was made in both PCI and PCIe versions.

I have two PCI and one PCIe in my computer, so they can indeed be mixed.

UAD-2 is only PCIe.

The newest plugins from UA, for example the Fatso, only run on UAD-2. I would assume that the -1 and -2 versions are completely different code, so I'm not surprised that future development is only for the new platform. The cheapest UAD-2 has more power than the UAD-1, so I'm not surprised that more - or fatter - plugins can run on the UAD-2. there seem to be UAD-2 versions of all plugins except for Nigel, the free amp simulator (I would hope they are developing a completely new amp sim, based on the UAD-2).

I would get the biggest UAD-2 card I could afford and start accumulating plugins.

• Members

I just bought one for $150 2 weeks ago. It came with the standard plug offerings, and I'll probably try to utilize it for basic comp/eq stuff. I just mixed a live performance using mostly the UAD plugs- the 1176 is a pretty close emulation of a real one, and the channel strip (well, "EX-1", which is the same CS-1 strip w/out time FX) proved really versatile and sounded good to my ears.

I did use the RealVerb as a general master verb, and the built-in delay compensation plug was perfect when strapped across the other subgroups.

In the past, I've had to render certain tracks to save CPU- adding a couple instances of Drumagog (even if they're only 25 or 30 % of the overall tone) and a convolution verb can slow the CPU down fairly considerably.

All in all I'm real happy with it and hopefully I can do some pretty complicated mixes now w/out having to render quite so much. Or at all!

• Members

How many plug-ins can you run simultaneously on the UAD-2 cards?

In addition to the link Doug posted, I'll add that there are two separate limiting factors: processing and memory. I assume that like UAD-1, 2 has a small meter window you can display that shows how much of the card's processing and memory you are using; I tend to use a lot of long echoes, so I can max out the memory of my UAD-1 without hitting the processor much. Or vice versa if using other types of plugins.

• Members

The UAD-x plugins are VST plugins.

But aren't they specifically ported over to run on the UAD cards? IOW, I didn't think you could run just any old VST plug in you wanted to on their DSP cards...
:confused:

I'll check out there web site and see. If thats the case, Id love to have a few. Would be better than going the FX-Teleport way.

Archived