Inexpensive but great-sounding stereo compressors

• Members

RNC +1000!

I have two of them in the way cool Funk Logic RN Chevy rackmount holder. You just can't go wrong with them.

On the other hand, I've never heard the Asshat in use in the studio. It seems to be the Number Two choice of our base of qualified audio engineers.

• Members

On the other hand, I've never heard the Asshat in use in the studio. It seems to be the Number Two choice of our base of qualified audio engineers.

Seems like there's at least one Asshat everywhere I go, really. :D But I voted for the RNC.

• Members

What are you going to use it for? If I remember correctly, you're into midi drums and keyboards. If that's the case, I would go with something with more character, like the RNLA.

My go-to character compressor for drum machine and keyboards is the MXR Dual Limiter. Costs about the same as a RNC but getting more difficult to find. I just sent one off to Jim Williams to see if he can make a good thing even better-er.

• Members

The ART PRO VLA (I or II) is absolutely ridiculous vs. its price tag.

I'm not knockin' the RNC. It's dirt cheap and it works, but it doesn't do anything special and isn't always flattering. Plus the whole lack of dual-mono and the lack of balanced connections....

• Members

I don't know if you want new or if it has to be half rack but I just picked up a Urie LA-12 for pretty damn cheap and it blows the doors off any low to mid priced compressor I've used, and I've used and own a lot of them. Transformers baby:love:

• Members

I have a Joemeek, RNC, and DBX and IME I reach for the RNC everytime. The Joemeek seems to take out too much air, and the DBX (266XL) is just plain dirty.

the RNC is clean and doesn't add color. I prefer not to add color on the way in as I don't want to regret it later. For my comp plugs I like the Voxengo compressors and the PSP master comp.

• Members

The ART PRO VLA (I or II) is absolutely ridiculous vs. its price tag.

I'm not knockin' the RNC. It's dirt cheap and it works, but it doesn't do anything special and isn't always flattering. Plus the whole lack of dual-mono and the lack of balanced connections....

Chris:

I picked up a used ART PRO VLA I some time ago but have not yet wired up all my gear into a viable home studio yet.

Can you add any particular comments as to how you use the VLA in your studio, where it shines, etc.?

I have read elsewhere that some run their final mixes through it with good results.

Many thanks.

• Members

urei 7110

Rane DC 22 Dynamic Controller

I like these better than the FMR compressors.

(oops - the UREI is not stereo compressors and I use the Rane as a two band mono compressor - sorry)

Actually, the RNC is also a dual mono comp, not true stereo.

• Members

Chris:

I picked up a used ART PRO VLA I some time ago but have not yet wired up all my gear into a viable home studio yet.

Can you add any particular comments as to how you use the VLA in your studio, where it shines, etc.?

I have read elsewhere that some run their final mixes through it with good results.

Many thanks.

I have the "I" version (the Chinese I version to be exact). Where it shines.... It kicks serious ass on vocals, bass, drum buss, drum room mics, non-ROCK electric guitar (ie. not the Green Day sound). It's pretty difficult to make the thing sound bad. I've never tried it on the mix buss, although I hear lots of people liking it there - but I couldn't comment myself as I haven't tried it in that situation.

It's a very different kind of compressor than the RNC. It's an optical compressor, so it has a certain 'bounce' to the attack and release and is very soft-knee (why it's great on vocals and bass in particular). Fairly transparent at low gain reduction settings, colorful when slamming something, and always smooth as hell. One nice thing is that, like a lot of opto compressors, you don't have to be very precise with settings as it's very forgiving. I don't have the II version, but people who do have it and the I version say they say identical, just with more flexibility in the II version in terms of attack/release times.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Actually, the RNC is also a dual mono comp, not true stereo.

The RNC is not a dual-mono compressor. It only operates in linked stereo. The L and R signals are summed before hitting the single detector which feeds both VCAs. In order to be dual-mono, you would have to have two detectors (technically called the sidechain, not to be confused with the sidechain input jack). This is why only one set of controls are necessary.

block_diagram.gif

• Members

I'm ready to buy. It's between the RNLA & the RNC.

I compose mostly using orchestral patches on synths & acoustic guitars.

The JoeMeek takes care of the acoustic guitar & vocals really well.

I need something for the mix-down. I don't like the software compression

I've used in SF or Wavelab.

I love the JoeMeek VC3 pre-amp/compressor. It's not transparent -

but I love the sound. OTOH, I had a C2 that I didn't like the sound so much.

So I value the color - if it's the right color - over transparency.

I'm in Houston right now. I hope I can give a sound test to each.

But it looks like I'll buy one of the two FMR products. Whatever I

buy, is going back to Asia with me in 2 weeks.

Once I start cruising the music stores, I'm sure I'll see a lot of asshats

on display. But I'm going to focus on the RNC & the RNLA. I like the

looks of the RNLA. It looks easy to operate.

• Members

From what I can see online, the dealers are either sold out or they don't say if it's in stock or not.

That's what the telephone is for. You call, they tell you if it's in stock. If it is, you give them your cc# and they send it to you.

A lot of smaller retailers don't have giant warehouses to stock multitudes of product, particularly expensive pieces that may only sell a few times a year. The RNLA isn't one of those expensive, slow-moving pieces, but a lot of pro-audio items are, and having a web site that lists 80% of your merchandise as "out-of-stock" at any one time doesn't look very good. Plus, in order to have accurate tracking like that, you need a computerized inventory system that can tie into your web site, which costs a lot of money.

If anybody will have them in stock, I'd imagine Mercenary would.

-Dan.

Archived