How to Fix A Small Dent In A Guitar Body ???

carlosjose

• Members

Every guitar will get small dents after having been played for a while, unless you're playing guitar naked and in a padded room, that is. Most dents aren't worth fixing up, and if you try fixing it yourself you might end up making more damage than there already was. Getting it done professionally is, of course, probably way to expensive compared to the actual value drop of the instrument.

My advice - leave it.

• Members

yeah chips are a different issue...if it is pressed into the wood...be prepared to get a damp cloth/q-tip and a soldering iron...basically you'd press a small piece of the cloth/q-tip into the dent and hit it with the soldering iron...it boils the water and forces steam into the body which will relax the wood...its a delicate procedure that is more in depth than it sounds...and you should definitely practice first...

• Members

If its just a dent in the paint it may be possible to fix it (depending on the colour and type of finish).

A friend of mine recently dinged his black guitar. We fixed it by dying the exposed wood with a marker pen then filling the (poly)finish with drops of superglue then sanding back and buffing.

I was pretty happy with the result - you only notice it if your looking for it whereas the original ding stood out like a sore thumb.

But on a more filosofical note:-

If youre worried about dings you should probably think about buying a guitar with a clear finish !

• Members

Originally posted by carlosjose

Awsome Link Thanks k4df4l
:thu:

+1 on that.

I'm very interested to try that steaming technique on my guitar, although I'm very concerned about messing up the finish. It's a Les Paul in a beautiful transparent blue color with lots of wood grain showing through. It's got a dent in the top surface that is just pressed in without breaking the finish. From what I've read, it seems possible to do this, but if I messed it up I'd be really pissed at myself. Ultimately, I can live with the dent, but the thing that bothers me the most is that it was put there by a guitar repair tech who was changing the bridge. Of course, he claims he didn't do it, and I can't prove it. But I baby that guitar and know it was in perfect condition when it took it in. Oh well, I guess I'll have to consider it as adding "character" to the guitar.

• Members

Have you tried talking to the tech about it ? If its no thru the finish he should be able to fill it with drops of clear nitro then buff it level. This will give a perdfectly smooth finish although you will still be able to see any underlying dent in the wood on very close inspection.

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

+1 on that.

I'm very interested to try that steaming technique on my guitar, although I'm very concerned about messing up the finish. It's a Les Paul in a beautiful transparent blue color with lots of wood grain showing through. It's got a dent in the top surface that is just pressed in without breaking the finish. From what I've read, it seems possible to do this, but if I messed it up I'd be really pissed at myself. Ultimately, I can live with the dent, but the thing that bothers me the most is that it was put there by a guitar repair tech who was changing the bridge. Of course, he claims he didn't do it, and I can't prove it. But I baby that guitar and know it was in perfect condition when it took it in. Oh well, I guess I'll have to consider it as adding "character" to the guitar.

I tried steaming before, brought up the wood nice but it whitened the surrounding laquer :( The glue drop method works fantastically though and if you take your time it can be seamless :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by carlosjose

Hey guys, I just realized that my guitar has a small dent on it I think its basically the pain t since I can't see the wood. Any suggestions on how I can fix this ???.

Thanks again
:thu:

Just make another small dent in the other side... you just have to make sure it's the same size so your tone doesn't get out of balance.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

+1 on that.

I'm very interested to try that steaming technique on my guitar, although I'm very concerned about messing up the finish.

from the tutorial:

"I can't overstate the need to be careful of the heat and moisture. Lots of old finishes will blush and turn white, blister or melt if they're overheated! This instrument has the most cooperative finish - a catalyzed polymer that will stand the heat of steaming."

I have steamed out plenty of dents & dings in poly finished guitars and necks but generally will stick to dropfilling lacquer if possible.

Archived