Vocal mics

• Members

I've always loved the AT4047 mic. it has lots of character. sure, sometimes not right but when it's right it really works well. Into the Cham labs preamp it can be a wooly nice combo for an inexpensive pair.

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I've heard good things on some vocals and good things on bass. I'll keep my eyes out for a good deal on this mic.

• Members

I've always loved the AT4047 mic. it has lots of character. sure, sometimes not right but when it's right it really works well. Into the Cham labs preamp it can be a wooly nice combo for an inexpensive pair.

I've been using a friend's AT4040 for about 2 years now so I am familiar with it, how does the 4047 compare to the 4040? It's supposedly better, but by how much? The owner of the 4040 uses it for his voice in my home studio and he's got a classical style mid range with lots of projection. It's looking for a LDC for not just vocals but also as a room mic for drums and whatever else I come up with. My only good pre/converter is an API A2D.

How about an AKG 214 vs the 4047?

• Members

The absolute must have mic for every studio bar none. This would be a hoot in a major studio especially if it sounds anyway decent.

I will deffinately have to build that homemade ribon mic. It looks awsome and even if it ends up sounding crap (and i'm hopeful it wont), it's still a good project.

I mainly use an AKG C414 XL-II through my Mackie Onyx 800r. It pretty much always sounds good although there are probably better choices for individual singers and not sure what it would be like on a 'harsh' singer. Maybe in the future I should purchase a dynamic mic such as EV RE20 or Shure SM7b or a more colorful pre amp for variety.

I've been using a friend's AT4040 for about 2 years now so I am familiar with it, how does the 4047 compare to the 4040?

In general, I'm very impressed with A/T's mikes - good bang for the bucks. I have not used the 4040 enough to give you a good comparison between that and the 4047 sonically, but the 4047 has a transformer output as opposed to electronically balanced. It's warmer and far less brittle and shrill sounding than the AT4033, which is one of the few A/T's that I personally didn't like very much.

• Members

A friend of mine has one of the lower-model A/T mics and I was very impressed with it. He brought it over one time and we set it up along with a Rode NT1-A and an AKG 414 B/XLS to have sort of an informal budget/budget/not-budget mic shootout. We tried the mics on acoustic guitar, vocals, and I think we used some percussion (this was two or three years ago so I don't remember for sure now).

We both felt like the 414 was the "best" all-around mic out of the bunch, which makes sense considering the price difference involved, but the A/T wasn't far behind. The Rode had much less body to it, and sounded overall brittle with a very harsh hyped top end compared to the A/T and the 414. Really surprised me how audible the differences were between the two budget mics.

• Members

For my voice I've found that an SM57 works best, even on acoustic stuff. I've sang through some pretty sweet singlan chains before, but an SM57 into any decent pre will get me there. This would seem sacrilege to some, but for ME it sounded better at a session when I went 57 > Chandler TG2 > Chandler TG1 then when I went Neumann U67 > TG2 > TG1!

The only other mic I liked almost as much was a Coles 4038... THAT is an amazing mic I'd like in my cabinet! :love:

• Members

I really need to get ahold of the folks at Mohave and get an in studio demo of the MA-200. Rumor has it that it's somewhat similar to a U67, which is, IMHO, one of the best vocal mikes ever built. Kicks butt and takes names on the U87 all day long. Great guitar cab mikes and drum room mikes too.

I have one on order. :) I'll post a review along with some samples after it gets here and I have some time to get to know it a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have tracked my voice through a friend's C3000B and an Aphex 207 and, for me, it works. I can't afford to drop 800+ bills on a signal chain for voice at this point, so I am looking for a cheaper approximation of this sound.

I would also like to track acoustic guitar. I'm a novice, but I like to use the internal fishman piezo pickup blended with a mic part way up the neck to brighten it up.

Any suggestions on a single, low budget mic that could do for both applications? I can get an AT 2050 on vancouver craigslist for about $200. How would this compare?

• Members

When recording my singer in our own practice studio, like jackcheez I used an AT4050 mainly, into my groove tubes brick usually as that smoothed off some of the treble setail slightly.

When we recorded in a studio last month, we tried a C-12 into a neve 1084 channel strip on him and found it way too hyped for his voice, which was a shame because when I saw a C-12 coming out I nearly, well... lets just say I was counting my spare boxers. We subbed out the C-12 for a Coles 4038 and that thing was like syrup, so fantastic for him because his voice has a LOT of air and rasp round the notes, and this really made him sit in the mix fantastically with this larger than life sort of character when outside of recordings I'd never really heard before.

So, if I had my choice, a 4038 would be hanging in our studio!

• Members

When recording my singer in our own practice studio, like jackcheez I used an AT4050 mainly, into my groove tubes brick usually as that smoothed off some of the treble setail slightly.

When we recorded in a studio last month, we tried a C-12 into a neve 1084 channel strip on him and found it way too hyped for his voice, which was a shame because when I saw a C-12 coming out I nearly, well... lets just say I was counting my spare boxers. We subbed out the C-12 for a Coles 4038 and that thing was like syrup, so fantastic for him because his voice has a LOT of air and rasp round the notes, and this really made him sit in the mix fantastically with this larger than life sort of character when outside of recordings I'd never really heard before.

So, if I had my choice, a 4038 would be hanging in our studio!

That's a cool story, and a great reason why one should always try out different mics. A 4038 might be dark and wooly for one person, and utterly fantastic for another. A C-12 might be open and magical and breathy for one person, and too shrill or grating on another.

• Members

The more I use my MA-200 the more I like it. This thing is a very good vocal mic, especially considering the price. Full-bodied sound that I really enjoy in front of a good singer. Heck, it even sounds good on my voice and I'm the opposite of a good singer. :D

• Moderators

I have an early Neumann U-67 Tube (Serial # 250) and well, what can I say - 99 times out of 100 it just WORKS on whatever vocals are in front of it ;)

That being said, I've used everything from C-12s and 47-Tubes to 421s and 57s on vocals - as most everyone says, it really depends on the singer.

• Members

I've been using a friend's AT4040 for about 2 years now so I am familiar with it, how does the 4047 compare to the 4040?

In general, I'm very impressed with A/T's mikes - good bang for the bucks. I have not used the 4040 enough to give you a good comparison between that and the 4047 sonically, but the 4047 has a transformer output as opposed to electronically balanced. It's warmer and far less brittle and shrill sounding than the AT4033, which is one of the few A/T's that I personally didn't like very much.

I have a 4047 as my go to mic for vocals and I used to have a 4033. You are correct, the 4033 is shrill on vocals..

The 4033 isn't a large diaphragm condenser mic, which is the problem..I think.

I have been switching between my 4047 and my CAD M179 recently with pretty good results. Since most of my recording sessions are acoustic, bluegrass, folk, etc. the 4047 and it's warmer sound really works well.

I never liked the 4033.

• Members

Anyone know what kind of mics Elton John used in the studio in the early days? My band's singer has a similar voice and we've had an issue trying to tame his midrange. We are headed into the studio this Winter and want to definitely try as many mics as possible -- so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

~Matt

• Members

Lately I really enjoy the BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage 1 and try the B6, B0 and B7 capsules.

One of them typically nails it for large diaphragm use.

The old CAD VX2 (discontinued) with the 1.25" diaphragm still a nice reach!

War

You like the Bottle Rocket? I was eyeing one of those but decided to go with the MA-200 instead. What do you like and dislike about the BLUE? :)

Archived