Vocal mics

• Members

I thought it might be interesting to talk a bit about what sort of vocal mics are being used around here, and what everyone thinks about them. :) I'm tossing around the idea of expanding my mic collection a bit so learning a little about the vocal mics everyone is using should help me find some options.

Right now when recording vocals I generally use a Microtech-Gefell MT-71S or a Shure SM-7b. I have a Rode NTK that also sees some use.

I find that the Gefell has a smooth, silky top end with a full-bodied sound. It works very well with just about everything I've put in front of it. It's a solid-state transformerless design and I generally like to run it through a preamp that will add a little iron to the signal. The Great River MP-500NV is a personal favorite, but I've been recording a band recently and tracking vocals with the Gefell plugged into a Neve Portico with "Silk" mode engaged and it sounds fantastic - clear and detailed but smooth. I do have one particular singer with whom I work, and the best signal chain I've found so far for his voice is the Gefell through the FMR RNP - clean, detailed sound without adding or subtracting anything. A touch of compression and a little bit of EQ cut around 2.5kHz and boom, there's the vocal sound. It just suits his voice.

The SM-7b needs a lot of gain with quieter sources so I tend to use it when the singer is more aggressive - not necessarily a screamer; just loud. :) It sounds just a LITTLE less detailed in the highs to my ears compared to the Gefell but that's just my opinion. It takes EQ well if a little extra treble is needed to help the vocals cut through the mix a bit.

The Rode NTK is a tube mic. A singer recently said it sounded like "having a mic in the back of your throat" because it picks up every little noise and movement you make. I think it's a little harsh sounding, but I like it for backing vocals (although I use it more for a drum room mic than anything else). The mids are a little forward to my ears but as always that's just my opinion and I'm basically a dedicated hobbyist so take that with a grain of salt. Backing off the mic about two feet in a decent-sounding room can yield a nice, roomy sound, though. Which is why I like it for backing vocals. It isn't the first mic I reach for on vocals, but it's an option I like having around. And some people's eyes just light up when you say "oh, it's a tube mic" which can have a nice effect on their performance sometimes.

Anyway, that's what I use. :) What are YOU using? What do you think about it? If you're using one of the same mics I'm using, how do you agree or disagree with my opinions about it?

• Members

I find mics are like buying shoes. One size does not fit all, but some get the job done dispite the limitations. I also have to match mics to the project, not nessarily to the person. i worked with alot of chick singers and find they do well with a shure beta 87. It hits their range and has a littel extra clarity for their voices. I dont like it for my own voice though. Theres a high end presence missing or something. Has a frequency hump at 8~9k which I cant work with.

I have my MXL and CAD large diaphrams, Some older electrovoice condencers, a ton of sure stuff. I havent been able to afford a really high end mic with the economy the way it is. Doesnt really matter though I get the job done with the tools at hand, the material sounds good, and some has made TV series sound tracks, videos of all kinds, CD releases and recently gotten some decent radio play. (Now if there was only some major cash coming back at me I could say, look at me I'm somebody, Hah! -)

In retrospect, If I did have better mics it would have improved the sound but I find its only a part of a much bigger picture. People do listen and hear the music played and visualize the performers performing.

Even if an expert listener hears whats lacking, its more or less their hangup being focused on the glass being 10% empty vs 90% full. This is not to say we dont strive for perfection and use every ounce out of what we can get our hands on, its more a thing where you sit back and say, dam, thats awful good considering the junk I'm forced to work with.

Most do not visualize the audio engineer nor the equipment doing the recording thank god for that with some of the quirkey stuff I've used to get decent sound. Duct tape and all.

• Members

I gave up on cheap LDCs a while ago. Once in a while a friend brings his TLM 103, and that's nice on his voice and acoustic. I acquired a Fathead last year, and that is great on guitar cabs and drums, as well as my voice and acoustic (from over the shoulder looking down) paired with a SDC for a bit of sparkle. My go to vocal mic of late is an old Sennheiser 409, it works well.

• Members

I gave up on cheap LDCs a while ago. Once in a while a friend brings his TLM 103, and that's nice on his voice and acoustic. I acquired a Fathead last year, and that is great on guitar cabs and drums, as well as my voice and acoustic (from over the shoulder looking down) paired with a SDC for a bit of sparkle. My go to vocal mic of late is an old Sennheiser 409, it works well.

I like Fathead mics - I have a pair of the Fathead II's with Lundahl transformers and love them. I don't use them on voice very often, though. I tend to use them for drum overheads mostly. They're good on guitar cabs but I normally use a ShinyBox 46MXC on those as it smooths out the top end a little more.

• Members

Nothing too exciting here. Most of my music is instrumental, but when I record vocals for other people, I've been using a Russian-made Oktava MK319 large diaphragm condenser. I've thought about getting it modded by Michael Jolly at OktavaMod, which is supposed to radically improve it's performance. Although it's not bad as it is now. I've also occasionally borrowed some higher end mics from friends when needed.

• Members

I use a Lawson L251 through a Neve Portico, often set on Silk Mode, and love the combination. The Lawson is a nice mic, sounds pretty much like what you'd expect. If someone is a shrieky screamer, sometimes it can be a little bit harsh, but otherwise, damn, it sounds fantastic on almost everything. I use it on acoustic guitar all the time, and it's one of those mics that sounds great on almost every application. If you want breathy or airy vocals, this is a fantastic mic. As a bonus, the owner, Gene Lawson, is a totally cool guy and makes these all by hand.

If I need something that's a little less "airy" and what I guess people would call "flatter" or "smoother", I'll reach for an Audio-Technica AT4060, which has been modified (new tube and caps...no, I don't remember what kind). It takes EQ very well.

I sometimes use a Heil PR-30 also. Good dynamic, sounds good on some vocals. Sounds good on some vocals....it's sometimes a bit dull sounding, but for shriekers and screamers, it sounds really full-bodied, and since it's a dynamic, has the bonus of "compressing" the transients compared to the top two (you know what I mean by "compressing", right :D ) in case that's an issue.

• Members

Most mens vocals get the SM7b or AT-4060 for a little more open sound.

Female vocals either use the 4060 or, for our country love song vocalist, a R121. I don't think i've ever seen the 121 recommended for female vox, but with her style and voice it fits perfectly. I did borrow a 71S a while and back and loved the upper end. But most of my singers felt it too bright for them.

Maybe it's my 50-year old ears :D

My old rock singer can't produce S's much anymore - so for him a SP B-1 works pretty well.

All vocals go through a GR ME-1NV with a RNC. I'd like to try a Portico some day, but as i've recently been forced into retirement it may be a while.

Acoustic guitar combo has been a 414EB on the hole and a Little Blondie SDC on the 12th fret - both into the BB channels of a Sytek.

It totally depends on the singer. However, if I had to pick one mic that gets used more often than not around here for lead vocals, it would be my Soundelux ELUX 251. It's similar in sound to Ken's Lawson L251, and more often than not, it "works".

I also have an E250 that I use on vocals sometimes. It's got a really cool proximity effect - about an octave higher than normal, so it actually makes the low end of a male vocalist really fatten up if you get in close.

I have an NTK, and while I have used it on vocals occasionally, I normally find the top end to sound too "enhanced" in that application. It did win out on a baritone singer once, but normally I prefer something else. It rules on upright bass though...

I still use my modded C-414EB on vocals occasionally too (as often as not, this is the mic I use when recording my own voice), as well as my RE20, ribbon mikes, SM57's... again, it totally depends on the vocalist and what we're after.

• Members

I usually use a Shure KSM27 for vocals which has a very nice transparent sound. The sound is quite transparent, so little to no coloration is added (which I actually like- I know most like color, but I think I prefer a more transparent sound). The good part is that, even though it is transparent, it is very sensitive, and picks up lots of detail and room noise which can make for a nice vocal track. Unfortunately, you better get ready to add compression.

I actually have a little secret mic that very rarely gets discussed here- the Rode NT3. I got this mic for $179 brand new- and wow, what a great deal (plus I got the M3 for $1 with purchase). I did not think that this medium diaphragm condenser would sound great on vocals, but I thought it worked quite well. Sounded great on baritone and tenor range type vocals. It is not as bright as my KSM27, and not as dark as my V69ME, but seems somewhere in the middle. I like the sound of it, and doesn't need the compression that the KSM27 needs. I'm not sure if I like the idea of using a medium diaphragm condenser for lead vocals, but this thing will definitely work well for backup vocals...at the very least.

My V69ME needs little compression. Unfortunately, I'm not thrilled with this mic. It is a bit too dark for my taste on my type of vocals. However, it does get some use if I do some softer falsetto-like vocals from time to time. I actually like the way some of the higher pitched screams come out on this as well.

• Moderators

I long for a great vocal LDC. While I'm waiting I find that my RE-20 into an API is a great vocal sound.

Sometimes I use an U87Ai. As much as there are things about that mic that drive me nuts, sometimes it is the perfect classic sound. Kinda honky but so recognizable that it just works. Also great on low voices where the honk makes them pop a little more.

Sometimes I use 414 B-uls. Very plain. Sometimes right but usually not.

FAthead? Don't like it on voice. Though I do want to try it in a "sideways Blumlien" for an acoustic guitar/vocalist, singer/songwriter app.

But honestly? That RE-20 into the API goes a long way on a lot of voices.

• Members

As mentioned earlier...it depends on the singer. For vox I like to use the Mojave MA-200, it's super warm and smooth, sounds great with great singers. I also use the SM7B, RE20, AT4033, AT4050, but I will eventually try every mic I have just to see what happens. The RE20 is a studio standard and I've used it on strong female vox, kick drum, guitar amp, bass amp. It's worth the money.

• Members

As mentioned earlier...it depends on the singer. For vox I like to use the Mojave MA-200, it's super warm and smooth, sounds great with great singers. I also use the SM7B, RE20, AT4033, AT4050, but I will eventually try every mic I have just to see what happens. The RE20 is a studio standard and I've used it on strong female vox, kick drum, guitar amp, bass amp. It's worth the money.

You know, I have an RE-20 and I've only ever used it on vocals once. It normally lives in my kick drum. :) I need to pull it out of there sometime and give it a real shot at vox to see how it does.

It's interesting that you describe the Mojave as "super warm and smooth" - I've read other reviews that talk about it being a very bright mic. Has anyone else used one? It's on the short list of mics I've been eyeballing...

• Members

You know, I have an RE-20 and I've only ever used it on vocals once. It normally lives in my kick drum.
:)
I need to pull it out of there sometime and give it a real shot at vox to see how it does.

It's interesting that you describe the Mojave as "super warm and smooth" - I've read other reviews that talk about it being a very bright mic. Has anyone else used one? It's on the short list of mics I've been eyeballing...

Yes, put that RE20 on some vox. It worked great for the very strong female vox that I was recording. I originally used the SM7B but it couldn't handle the girl's voice that I was recording.

MA-200....yes, I've also heard it described as bright, but the best way I can describe it is warm and smooth. That being said, my ears have been through a lot, maybe I can't hear certain freq's. Whatever though, it's a great mic. I've also use it on acoustic guitar with great success. IMO it's every penny.

• Members

It totally depends on the singer. However, if I had to pick one mic that gets used more often than not around here for lead vocals, it would be my Soundelux ELUX 251. It's similar in sound to Ken's Lawson L251, and more often than not, it "works".

We actually compared them a while back, and they were relatively similar. These work far more often than not.

Peluso also makes a 251-type mic that is supposed to be quite good. I've never heard it.

I also have an E250 that I use on vocals sometimes. It's got a really cool proximity effect - about an octave higher than normal, so it actually makes the low end of a male vocalist really fatten up if you get in close.

The proximity effect you describe sounds amazing...and extremely useful.

• Members

Lots of good options in here so far. :) Another mic I've been looking at is the BLUE Bottle Rocket - it uses the bayonet-mount switchable capsules like the Bottle, but it's MUCH cheaper. Has anyone used one of those? It's intriguing, and I like the BLUE mics I have (a Woodpecker and a Baby Bottle), but I haven't used any of their Bottle capsules or the Bottle Rocket mics.

I really need to get ahold of the folks at Mohave and get an in studio demo of the MA-200. Rumor has it that it's somewhat similar to a U67, which is, IMHO, one of the best vocal mikes ever built. Kicks butt and takes names on the U87 all day long. Great guitar cab mikes and drum room mikes too.

The other mikes I really want to give a try are the Lautens. I've been hearing good things, and their rep has offered to bring the lineup over for a in-studio demo. I've been thinking about making it a "get together" for the forum folks, so if anyone's interested, they'd be able to come by, hang out, have some food, play some music and listen to some mikes. Might not be feasible for many of you, but if your local, it might be worth a few hours of your time.

• Members

The other mikes I really want to give a try are the Lautens. I've been hearing good things, and their rep has offered to bring the lineup over for a in-studio demo. I've been thinking about making it a "get together" for the forum folks, so if anyone's interested, they'd be able to come by, hang out, have some food, play some music and listen to some mikes. Might not be feasible for many of you, but if your local, it might be worth a few hours of your time.

As you know, I'm quite interested in coming to this.

Archived