Best mic for recording clean guitar?

• Members

"Whats the best mic for recording a clean tube amp such as a fender twin reverb?"

Same mics used for recording a clean tube amp such as a fender twin reverb cranked up to sound dirty.

SM57 is the most popular. Theres plenty more go to mics or combinations of mics used but for the price they do the job.

• Members

Whats the best mic for recording a clean tube amp such as a fender twin reverb?

Two mics. Ribbon or dynamic up close, LDC 3-4 ft. away. Make sure they're in phase and sound good summed to mono. 57, 421, or one of my new favorites, a Heil PR30 up close, and a good LDC farther away for depth, clarity, and bigger-than-life sound.

• Members

The last clean guitar I recorded was from a Groove Tubes combo amp which we put on top of a 4x 12" cabinet and mic'ed with an ELA M 251 E.

Took us a good amount of time to tweeze the amp sound to be EXACTLY what we were looking to achieve... put the mic about a foot off center of the speaker, Thermionic Culture "Earlybird" mic pre... little MC-77 compression... done.

Peace.

• Members

Thanks for the help everyone. So is an audio technica at4050 pretty much a must have for recording? Seems to get a lot of love. Also, recording a 2x12 like a fender twin, would I be best off pointing the close mic at an angle between the two speakers or on only one? Sorry, mostly stupid questions probably, just new to it all. Thanks alot.

• Members

Thanks for the help everyone. So is an audio technica at4050 pretty much a must have for recording? Seems to get a lot of love. Also, recording a 2x12 like a fender twin, would I be best off pointing the close mic at an angle between the two speakers or on only one? Sorry, mostly stupid questions probably, just new to it all. Thanks alot.

I don't know if it's a "must have", since I've never owned one :D , but it seems highly regarded for its price bracket and is one of the more popular AT mics.

The last clean guitar I recorded was with a Carr Rambler amp using a Heil PR30 up close and a Lawson L251 (a modern replica of the mic Fletcher mentioned) a few feet back, with a little bit of RNLA for good measure. I also sometimes record with just the Lawson, and that's good sounding either. I move the mics around, mess around with the amp, all the usual things until it sounds really great.

• Members

Newb question, say I like the twin's tone at a volume of 3, is there any benefit to recording the amp at that volume as opposed to 5 (besides tube/speaker compression)? Im thinking it would have a better signal/noise ratio, would it?

• Members

Get the sound how you want it, then record it. Volume for volume's sake is pretty much irrelevant. You're going to adjust the gain on your preamp depending on the source volume, so there's no difference in the signal/noise relationship. OTOH, if you close-mike a source, the louder it is, the less room you will hear.

• Members

Get the sound how you want it, then record it. Volume for volume's sake is pretty much irrelevant. You're going to adjust the gain on your preamp depending on the source volume, so there's no difference in the signal/noise relationship. OTOH, if you close-mike a source, the louder it is, the less room you will hear.

Cool thanks.

Neumann KM56 and U67's are great condensers on guitar cabs IMO, as is the 251 and its various "inspired by" mikes, such as the Bock Audio 251, Soundelux ELUX 251, Lawson, etc. I also really like AKG 414's on guitar cabs too.

I tend to use a 414, a Beyer M160 ribbon and / or various dynamic mikes for guitar cabinets - clean or dirty... it just depends on the amp, and the sound we're going for. I like to get the amp loud enough so that we've got it at its "sweet spot" (slowly turn up the volume until the tone "blossoms"), but IMO there's no need or advantage to going louder than that.

• Members

The last clean guitar I recorded was from a Groove Tubes combo amp which we put on top of a 4x 12" cabinet and mic'ed with an ELA M 251 E.

Took us a good amount of time to tweeze the amp sound to be EXACTLY what we were looking to achieve... put the mic about a foot off center of the speaker, Thermionic Culture "Earlybird" mic pre... little MC-77 compression... done.

Peace.

How come you have the CN in front of your name Fletcher?

• Members

With a single dynamic mic, would I be better off close mic'ng the amp at one speaker or between the two speakers? Or, would I be better off mic'ng the amp at a distance of a couple feet away so the sound of the two speakers blossoms together so to say. (Of course, I could do both w/ 2 mics but lets just say I'm stuck with one, what would be my best option.)

Another question: Should I record my amp set up with a bit more treble than I personally like live so that it sits in the mix better once recorded? I tend to like a pretty warm, bassier tone.

And I personally like the sound of my twin best with the volume at 3 actually as well. Thanks everyone.

• Moderators

My two current favorites for clean amp sound are a Royer ribbon (using the back side) and an Sennheiser E609. I've recorded a {censored}load using SM57's on guitar amps, but now I reach for the E609 first. Mostly it's brighter, I think, and I'd rather have to roll off a little brightness than try to add some later.

I also often record guitar through a Motherload (which Fletcher was kind enough to sell me). It's the first speaker emulator / load I've really liked the sound of.

Terry D.

• Members

On the other 257 music forums that Fletcher posts on, he's just Fletcher, not CN Fletcher. Just curious about the added letters (maybe Fletcher was already taken here).

Hmmmm...the mystery deepens.

Why indeed? And what do the mysterious letters *really* stand for?

Is it his name? Or a reference to his love of the Cartoon Network? Or maybe he loves the CN Tower? Or perhaps he writes for the Collegiate Network?

Will we ever know?

:D

• Moderators

I recorded a Ric 12 string last night. A modded BlackHeart amp into a single V30 closed back Avatar. I put an RE20 about 6" off the grill pointed dead center. A U87i in cardioid about 6 feet high and 6 feet back point down at the cab. Both into API pres.

Listened... considered moving stuff to see if I could get it better then said, "Screw it. That sounds great!" It sounded great.

• Members

I recorded a Ric 12 string last night. A modded BlackHeart amp into a single V30 closed back Avatar. I put an RE20 about 6" off the grill pointed dead center. A U87i in cardioid about 6 feet high and 6 feet back point down at the cab. Both into API pres.

Listened... considered moving stuff to see if I could get it better then said, "Screw it. That sounds great!" It sounded great.

Thats great. The moral of that experience...don't "F" with it if it sounds good. Seems like double micing is the way to go (close mic and ambient mic). Without a nice sounding studio, do you think the mic at a distance would still be useful? I record usually in my small, low ceiling, carpeted room usually, or stick the amp in my small walk in closet.

What would be my best option for my first consenser mic? I really can't spend a grand at the moment, I'm not good enough for that yet. haha.

And lastly, recording at home... Where have you all found the best spots to record..whether it be guitar, vocals, or drums? Small rooms with low ceilings? Large living rooms with wood floor and high ceilings? Small bathrooms? Basements? Under the stairs? hahaha. I've heard some interesting places before.

Thanks everyone.

Archived