Studio Projects B1 vs. MXL V67G

• Members

I'm looking to pick up a cheap LDC mic. We currently use a MXL990 for vocals, but I would like to pick up something a little more detailed. I've narrowed it down to the MXL V67G and the Studio Projects B1 based on a lot of internet reviews and different forums. I was wondering if anyone had experience with either or both of these mics. I'll be recording mostly vocals and acoustic guitar with this mic. The vocals are in the softer rock vein. An idea of the type of music can be found on www.myspace.com/stoker7. They are not the greatest demo recordings, poor sound sources and mixing/mastering, but they can give you an idea of what style applications it'll be used for. Some full band stuff where the vocals will need to sit well in the mix, and then some more delicate recordings like the acoustic song on there "Your Voice". I'd say either one will be a decent mic for the money, but I know there are differences between the two and I just wanted a little advice based on what it'll be used for. Thanks

• Members

i have the MXL v67 and it's not a bad mic for the money. it has a nice low end, but the highs can get a bit harsh at times. i don't use it that much. i have the rode nt2-a and i would suggest that mic to you because it is a very very solid australian build mic that will last for years. the sound is very neutral which is always a good thing and it's one of the quietest mics around, concerning self noise. the rode mics really are pro mics that don't cost a fortune.

• Members

I have the older brother to the B1 (the C1) and I like it okay, not the greatest mic, but then again there really isn't anything at this price level that blows my socks off. I'm getting ready to compare it to a few low end mics soon with a buddy of mine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm looking to pick up a cheap LDC mic. We currently use a MXL990 for vocals, but I would like to pick up something a little more detailed. I've narrowed it down to the MXL V67G and the Studio Projects B1 based on a lot of internet reviews and different forums. I was wondering if anyone had experience with either or both of these mics. I'll be recording mostly vocals and acoustic guitar with this mic. The vocals are in the softer rock vein. An idea of the type of music can be found on
www.myspace.com/stoker7
. They are not the greatest demo recordings, poor sound sources and mixing/mastering, but they can give you an idea of what style applications it'll be used for. Some full band stuff where the vocals will need to sit well in the mix, and then some more delicate recordings like the acoustic song on there "Your Voice". I'd say either one will be a decent mic for the money, but I know there are differences between the two and I just wanted a little advice based on what it'll be used for. Thanks

I swear by the very inexpensive Mogami edition MXL V69 tube mic.

You can upgrade the tube easily and get even better sound than stock.:thu:

I don't have any wav demos (bandwidth issue) but I have mp3's.

Let me know.

• Members

I've got one of the older Studio Projects B1s (no cutoff or pad) and I've done quite a few recordings with it, one of which has had moderate success commercially. Having said that, the MXL V67G is also a great mic for the price. I find both mic's have the typical low price mic high end boost feature, but I find the B1 boosts lower frequencies as well, kind of like have the "Loudness" button on your stereo turned on.

• Members

I have a SP C1. It was a great mic to have back when I first got it. Not sure how it compares to other mics in the now crowded inexpensive LCD market. I rarely use the C1 now, but someday I will need something to cut through a dense mix. For the longest time I wanted to get two B1's to use as overheads, but I'm over it. I want another Cascade Fathead instead. No smiley eq curve in sight with those things... and it took a while for me to appreciate that.

Archived