Vintage style guitar amp miking? (Hang it over the cab)

• Members

I read somewhere that in the old days they just "hung a mic over the cabinet" opposed to close-miking.

What exactly do they mean by this? They literally draped a microphone with no stand over the cabinet, they hung the microphone from the ceiling, or they had a room mic overhead the half-stack like "dual drum overheads"?

If someone could explain what "hung a mic over the cabinet" means or if anyone knows of a YouTube video or has a picture of this, that'd be a great help.

How did bands like Deep Purple, T-Rex, and Aerosmith (circa-debut album) mic their amps? I'm running a Hot Rodded 70's Marshall into a 4x12 V30 Cabinet, so I have the tone.. I'm just trying to "capture" it accurately on my DAW. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Moderators

The Sennheiser 409/609/906 shape is well suited to this. It's a flat, side address, soapbar shaped mic that when draped by the cable puts it in a default close mic position.

Good for live where you're doing lots of change overs etc.

A draped 57 on the other hand sound like doo-dee. It's a front fire mic and when draped it ends up seriously off axis. Just use a stand and put it where it sounds good.

• Members

Stick the mic cable through the handle strap, from the rear.

Connect an SM57, and adjust it to hang so that the mic is about in the center of a speaker. The mic hangs with its side flat against the grill or cloth.

I'm not saying it's great, but if you can't picture this, you're trying too hard :-)

• Members

How far would the draped mic hang?

Typically to the center of the cone.

Was it done haphazardly or was there some sort of rule of thumb with that?

The rule of thumb would be wherever it sounded best.

As Lee mentioned, the Sennheiser 609, a side-address mic, was perfectly suited to this, and that's the one that I see the most often on my amp when I play live, and yes, the sound engineer just about always hangs it off the amp as Doug describes above.

I've hardly ever seen that technique used in studios, but I've seen it in use countless times in "live" situations. I'm generally in agreement with the "if you try this with a SM57, it will probably sound like garbage" comments; the mic is going to be pointed at the floor, and off-axis to the sound source (speaker).

Having said that, the guitars on Money For Nothing were tracked with a wacky off-axis, aimed at the floor approach (IIRC, originally by accident when the mic stand clutch loosened and it "fell" out of position), and IMO, it's a great sound... so "whatever works". But it normally wouldn't be the first thing I'd try, and I strongly suspect the idea originated when someone was a stand or two short of what they needed to get the job done - an example of "expedient engineering".

• Members

I have a Sennheiser E606 (european cousin to the 609) and it works well for this due to the flat fronted design. The only issues I find is that the mic tends to hang very close to the grille of the cab and this is a bit of a pain due to the strong bass proximity effect of the mic. Just something to consider if you plan on doing this.

For live work with a Marshall style cab or other cab with the grille set back a bit it would work ok. It's not ideal for recording though... I prefer to use a stand.

• Members

I've hardly ever seen that technique used in studios, but I've seen it in use countless times in "live" situations.

Same here. I've only ever done that recording when I was getting scratch tracks and ran out of mic stands...and that won't happen anymore because now that I'm not in a band, I have all the mic stands from my former rehearsal studio and have an abundance! :D

• Members

For live work with a Marshall style cab or other cab with the grille set back a bit it would work ok. It's not ideal for recording though... I prefer to use a stand.

Agreed. I like the control I get with a mic stand, and besides, I rarely want to jam my mics up against the grill anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived