Bass Pre?

D_VjBTsx4gg&feature=channel_page

EGPV4SBeF2k&NR=1

SFT.jpg

http://www.catalinbread.com/SFT.html

It's by far the coolest bass pre / OD pedal I've ever owned. It's very dynamic, and depending on how you have it set, it goes all the way from clean and warm, through touch sensitive dirt dynamics (dig in hard and it starts to growl at you, play normally and it remains clean) all the way through some serious filth. IMO, if you're a bass player, or record bass a lot, you NEED this pedal. I love it! :phil:

• Members

SFT.jpg

It's by far the coolest bass pre / OD pedal I've ever owned. It's very dynamic, and depending on how you have it set, it goes all the way from clean and warm, through touch sensitive dirt dynamics (dig in hard and it starts to growl at you, play normally and it remains clean) all the way through some serious filth. IMO, if you're a bass player, or record bass a lot, you NEED this pedal. I love it! :phil:

My preiment issue with using distortion on bass is that generally. It makes the bass disappear into the guitar track. A bass should have a nice well defined sound akin to something like a synth but smoother. I think alot of people must have crappy bass's or something. I have never heard a smith bass that needed distortion.

• Moderators

SFT.jpg

That is one awesome sounding pedal! The tone on the Motown clip was great. The distortion great as well. I'll have to look for that at Namm. Thanks.

• Members

My signal chain was bass--->mbox 2 with the sansamp added in between any clips that have it on them. Also, it's worth noting that I had the blend knob all the way clockwise so no DI signal was mixed in with any of these clips.

Mexican J 4 string w/ nothing added straight in.wav

Same bass as above, fingerpicked through sansamp clean.wav

Fingerpicked sansamp driven.wav

I used a pick/striaght in (no bass driver DI).wav

Picked w/ sansamp clean.wav

Picked sansamp driven.wav

Bass direct in with ampeg SVT plug in applied as an insert (this is software).wav

Just so we are clear, when I say sansamp I mean this by itself with NO AMP straight into the mbox.:

546500.jpg

Also the ampeg VST plug in is this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AmpegSVX/

• Moderators

Nice job with the sound clips nero. Here's my take on what I heard...

Ironically, I like the straight in dry better than the SansAmp clean. The SansAmp seems to take some definition away. In a track I think you'd be losing punch. However, once you started dialing in the grit, those upper harmonics brought the articulation back in a nice way. Still, I don't know if I like quality of grit. It works though. The SVX sounds great but a little fake. Too consistent maybe? It most likely sounds fantastic in a track though. Just like an SVT, it's huge but still has that contained quality about it that punches through without losing size. All the clips were of very high quality though. Nice work.

I miss my vintage SVT.

I find myself pluging into the 1/4" jack of my API A2D and cranking the input with the 2:1 transformer engaged. Then applying compression later with the Massey. I need to get my Micro Limiter back in that chain. Haven't tried them together yet. Hmmmm.

• Members

To weigh in my thoughts. I actually don't like the drive on that pedal for some reason (then again, I'm not huge on driven bass tones) and I dig a blend of both the DI and the sansamp.

My all time favority bass tone that I aquired was an SVT-3 pro through an ampeg 6X10 miced up with a D112 and blended with this DI.

• Members

This reminds me of an old post on one of these threads- someone asked-

"How do I get that 70's bass sound?", and without missing a beat someone else replied-

"Get a 70's bass player."

I still get a chuckle out of that!

• Members

Sorry to say I dont like the sound of the box, or at least the way it was set. Sounds like a blown amp or speaker which is not a good sound to me. (Having been in the repair business for all those years)

I suppose if the thing could get that Rolling Stones Under My Thumb ripping bass sound with some adjustments along with some Reverb it might be cool. I can get that sound off an older Sunn head that has built in distortion. It breaks up nicely on the High end and lets the lows come through. This is all personal preference though.

• Members

I got a pretty killer mexi jazz bass bass sound the other night from the direct out of a SWR workingman's 112 straight into my firepod using the Nomad Factory BlueTubes channel strip plugin as a pre. It's not me playing, though damn do I wish it were!

I haven't even though about giving that plugin a go for bass. (goes and tries it...)

• Members

I haven't even though about giving that plugin a go for bass. (goes and tries it...)

that plugin is bomb for just about anything. In the coming weeks I can post a song where we plugged the bass into a Mercury M72 - now THAT is one hell of a bass sound!

• Members

I don't go anywhere without the SansAmp BDDI in my kit. Has bailed me out a bunch of times, as a DI to the board, to bypass a failing preamp in my bass rig, and have even used the DI only PA sound without an amp. Live, it's great.

But, I'm not that crazy about the sound in recordings. Always sounds a little fake to me. I preferred the original SansAmp pedal for that role, but generally will just go in with a high quality transformer DI.

However, SansAmp is introducing a new DI/pedal based on their VT Bass at NAMM. This looks REAL interesting.

js

• Members

While I enjoy the SuPRE that I mentioned above, really, it's always been my experience that about 90% of a good recorded bass tone comes from having a good player with good technique using a good bass. I know that I've done a LOT of work on my plucking technique since I started recording myself, and in the process I've gone from trying different plugins and using lots of EQ to going straight DI and maybe giving the mids a bit of a bump, if that much. But everyone's going to have their own technique. What's important is that you be flexible enough to get the right sound for the project at hand. :)

• Members

Hmm, so I think the Bluetubes Analog Trackbox is a very viable option for bass. Please excuse the poor finger pick playing though,
:lol:

Blue Tubes Analog Track Box.wav

I used a cheap SX 5 string J for the clip (there is supposed to be a picture below this sentence but photobucket is being really weird).

Picture1-51.png

That's a nice heavy tone for rock :thu: here's the fixed link to the clip i posted btw - i just noticed it didn't work...

http://soundcloud.com/nick-nagurka/12-23-09-joe-dart-bass-solo

Archived