lesser of two evils

• Members

We all know that recording in Pro Tools on a Mac Book should be done to a firewire drive with the Oxford chipset.

In a situation where one of these drives is not available, would it be better to record to the internal drive or a non-oxford external firewire drive?

The project will be a live recording using two tracks (or possibly four if I can interface with the Mbox SPDIF input)

• Members

We all know that recording in Pro Tools on a Mac Book should be done to a firewire drive with the Oxford chipset.

In a situation where one of these drives is not available, would it be better to record to the internal drive or a non-oxford external firewire drive?

The project will be a live recording using two tracks (or possibly four if I can interface with the Mbox SPDIF input)

OK, I have a Macbook Pro (2 years old) using a Profire 2626 interface and recording 8 analogue inputs at the same time, to PT at 24 bit 44.1 (mostly).

Sin of sins, I'm using an external USB drive. I have to say that it's been largely without problems. Been using it about a year and a half, weekly or more, to record full band practice and also separate tracks sometimes. A couple of times I've got the CPU overload message in the middle of a session but it's not that frequent and I can deal. Maybe once in a four hour session I'll lose a take, which for my lot is no big deal - only a couple of 'THE takes' have been lost forever. So I imagine seeing as Firewire is faster than USB you should be OK for only a few inputs.

I did have to record to the internal drive a few times when I filled a hard drive and was waiting for the next one to arrive, and it wasn't as good as an external USB IMO. Really don't recommend it.

Hope that helps.

On a side note, does anyone know whether I could daisy chain a Firewire HD to the Profire in any way? The problem being I have only one Firewire port.

Archived