How long does it take for a maple neck to get that aged look?

placebo62

• Members

Most modern maple necks are finished in polyurethane. From a color perspective, they don't age much in comparison to the lacquer finish on, say, vintage Fender necks. If you're waiting for a poly finish to age, plan on waiting a very, very long time.

• Members

I have a fender custom shop strat with a nitro neck that was really white when I bought it.

A year and a half later, it has ambered nicely, but I leave it hanging on the wall 24/7, and it gets a lot of play. I don't wipe the sweat off of the back of the neck right away either. I let it sit until the next time I play it. It's the best way to break in a sticky nitro finish, IMO.

My 2000 poly finished Am Series strat has also gotten a bit darker, but not nearly as fast as my CS strat.

• Members

Originally posted by placebo62

The guitar I am looking at is a G&L Legacy, it says it has a Polished Glossy finish - doesnt specify if thats nitro or poly though.

I'm sure it's poly. Although, I've been wrong once or twice.

If it's poly it'll take quite a while, especially if it's a thick, glossy finish.

Just don't worry about it. Play the fudge out of it and the next thing you know, it'll be aged a bit.

Or maybe it's just you that will age and relic. Those poly finishes are very durable.

• Members

Originally posted by RUExp?

Well if your looking at the guitar does it look dark or light?

well, this one is definatly light - its not the gun oil version. I really dig the gun oil finish - hence my question - hoping that the light normal gloss will eventually look a little, or a lot like the gun oil tint.

• Members

There are a lot of finiish formulations these days---both poly and nitrocellulose lacquer. But it's not as simple as just the finish. Some of the guitars that were made 50 years ago had wood that was dried naturally. For some fine acoustics, the drying time could be several years. When the organic nitro lacquer interacted with this wood, it reacted differently than it does with current kiln dried woods that may have been aged for just a few weeks.

A lot of finish formulations have UV protection to keep the luster intact. There are lots of different mixtures of nitro as well, and some of them have additives that resist cracking and crazing.

So, I guess the answer is, who knows how a particular guitar neck will age? We'll just have to be patient.

Edit: I will add this. It's easier to predict if you buy a guitar that is made from the same materials and uses the same finish formulations as the original Fenders, Gibsons, etc. from the 50's. But this usually means going to the custom shop and paying a premium. And even though the materials may look the same, I doubt whether any of the custom shops wait 3 to 5 years for their tonewoods to dry out. There may be some small, boutique luthiers who still do it that way, though. Plus, it's just getting harder and harder to procure decent maple and mahogany.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeffrey

There are a lot of finiish formulations these days---both poly and nitrocellulose lacquer. But it's not as simple as just the finish. Some of the guitars that were made 50 years ago had wood that was dried naturally. For some fine acoustics, the drying time could be several years. When the organic nitro lacquer interacted with this wood, it reacted differently than it does with current kiln dried woods that may have been aged for just a few weeks.

A lot of finish formulations have UV protection to keep the luster intact. There are lots of different mixtures of nitro as well, and some of them have additives that resist cracking and crazing.

So, I guess the answer is, who knows how a particular guitar neck will age? We'll just have to be patient.

Edit: I will add this. It's easier to predict if you buy a guitar that is made from the same materials and uses the same finish formulations as the original Fenders, Gibsons, etc. from the 50's. But this usually means going to the custom shop and paying a premium. And even though the materials may look the same, I doubt whether any of the custom shops wait 3 to 5 years for their tonewoods to dry out. There may be some small, boutique luthiers who still do it that way, though. Plus, it's just getting harder and harder to procure decent maple and mahogany.

hey, thanks man...very insightful

Archived