What would you rather have? (ESP vs. Edwards)

jazzyman

• Members

Curious as to which you would rather have an ESP standard or a Edwards. the ESP is about $300-400 more. Factors to consider:

(1) ESP arguably may be made slightly better

(2) Both have EMGs

(3) The Edwards has a Full Les Paul Body/ESP has thinner body thus perhaps resulting in a different sound.

(4) The Edwards has an ebony board, where the ESP has rosewood. (can't figure that one out)

Discuss...

• Members

with $300-$400 difference I guess you HAVE to be talking about a LTD, not an ESP right?

That said they are toatally different guitars. Same'ish shape, and thats it!

LTD (esp) is a Les Paul 'shredder, Edwards is a Les Paul replica (down to weight,build,style,construction etc.)

ALL depends on what sound/style you are going for as they truly are like chalk and cheese alot.

• Members

Originally posted by Dakine

with $300-$400 difference I guess you HAVE to be talking about a LTD, not an ESP right?

That said they are toatally different guitars. Same'ish shape, and thats it!

LTD (esp) is a Les Paul 'shredder, Edwards is a Les Paul replica (down to weight,build,style,construction etc.)

ALL depends on what sound/style you are going for as they truly are like chalk and cheese alot.

Ah I'm sorry for not being clear. I'm talking about the ESP Standard Series (not the LTD). The difference in price generally comes with Edwards when you ship them over (and possibly in Customs)

• Members

....they are toatally different guitars. Same'ish shape, and thats it!

Yep. The Eclipse resembles a LP and thats about all they have in common.

• Members

shipping cost?

I used to live in Texas and now back in UK.

I can get an Edwards (top LP from what can see, not Navigator but Edwards) WAY cheaper than an ESP Std. here.

Hmm that is strange.. I can pick up an ESP Eclipse from $1250-1400.

Edwards is about $800 or so then factor in $125 shipping that makes the cost somewhat similar.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzyman

I wish I could try a Edwards somewhere...

http://www.japan-guide.com/

The Hierarchy is ESP (top), LTD (cheaper), Edwards (Japan only - not too expensive), Grass Roots (maybe only Japan - better than Epiphones IMO - $400 LP's etc.)

All the same company. Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy.

The Edwards I have seen are very similar to the LTD's. Maybe just Japanese and U.S. brands?

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

this is some pretty sick stuff, really. gotta love it.

• Members

Originally posted by katintokyo

The Hierarchy is ESP (top), LTD (cheaper), Edwards (Japan only - not too expensive), Grass Roots (maybe only Japan - better than Epiphones IMO - $400 LP's etc.)

The Edwards I have seen are very similar to the LTD's. Maybe just Japanese and U.S. brands?

That is interesting.. So what you're saying is that LTD are ranked higher then Edwards in terms of quality?

• Members

Originally posted by jazzyman

Curious as to which you would rather have an ESP standard or a Edwards. the ESP is about $300-400 more. Factors to consider:

(1) ESP arguably may be made slightly better

(2) Both have EMGs

(3) The Edwards has a Full Les Paul Body/ESP has thinner body thus perhaps resulting in a different sound.

(4) The Edwards has an ebony board, where the ESP has rosewood. (can't figure that one out)

Discuss...

Um in the ESP standard series there are more ebony fingerboard LP's than rosewood.

I'd go ESP on most guitars, unless you are getting that black LP on katanaguitars.com for $699. Nice deal. It has duncan distortions, not EMGs.

• Members

Originally posted by Cooker

Um in the ESP standard series there are more ebony fingerboard LP's than rosewood.

I'd go ESP on most guitars, unless you are getting that black LP on katanaguitars.com for $699. Nice deal. It has duncan distortions, not EMGs.

Could you elaborate? Are you saying that you prefer ESP Eclipses or that you do in all cases except the Black Edwards? Is it just because of the pickups?

• Members

Well in the original post you said ESP standard guitars, which is a series.

ECLIPSE-II - rosewoood

ECLIPSE-II VB - ebony

ECLIPSE-II FM - ebony

Given the price difference, I'd go with the $699 black edwards mentioned above. Other than that model, I'd be choosing ESP.

As far as pickups, I think EMG's are great. If you aren't playing high gain you might not want them though. As far as the duncans, I have not played that pickup (duncan distortion).

• Members

Originally posted by katintokyo

I've never played an LTD that stacks up to the two Edwards I've played.

If the info I've gatherd on these forums is correct, Edwards are made in the same factory as ESP Standards.

• Members

edwards is a massive step above ltd, anyone who suggests otherwise has absolutely no idea what theyre talking about.

edwards (or at least my edwards sykes and all others that im aware of) are manufactured in the same factory as esp standards - the quality of build is similar to my esp standard horizon frII.

Archived