Pro Tools users - do NOT update to 8.0.3! (EDIT: Updated!)

Stick with the latest cs version of 8.0 (cs3?) or 8.0.1.

8.0.3 has some pretty significant issues that are affecting a lot of us (myself included) - including random, full scale white noise bursts that could blow a tweeter - or pop an eardrum. This issue has been reported cross-platform AND cross version - in other words, Mac and PC users, M-Powered / LE and HD users have all reported having this problem, although not all users have experienced it.

Worse, you can't revert back to 8.0.1 from 8.0.3 without restoring your system from a disk image OR doing a complete system drive wipe, OS reinstall and then reinstalling the earlier version of Pro Tools... :(

Digidesign is aware of the problem and is reportedly working on a fix, but until then (and I'll let you all know as soon as I hear anything), I can not recommend using 8.0.3.

• Members

If there is a lesson to be learnt here it may be that hanging back on critical updates, (not that i'm one to talk.. ;) ) is the sensible option.

I've heard a couple of murmurs about this although I don't know the details.. What a (*$& up..!

• Members

Stick with the latest cs version of 8.0 (cs3?) or 8.0.1.

That's fortunately the one I have. I can't remember why, but I could not upgrade to 8.0.3 anyway.

8.0.3 has some pretty significant issues that are affecting a lot of us (myself included) - including random, full scale white noise bursts that could blow a tweeter - or pop an eardrum.

:eek::eek::eek:

Holy crud!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, Phil!!!!

Specifically:

- What operating system?

8.0.3 is ONLY for Windows 7 (beta) and Snow Leopard.

For XP, VISTA and LEOPARD, 8.0.3 is NOT necessary and if you upgraded to 8.0.3, then you need the 8.0.3 CS1 -still need to confirm if this solves the problem fully or not-.

Any comments?

They (Avid) asked some questions over on the DUC about the systems this was happening on - there's a huge thread about it over there (several apparently), and here's what I posted:

1. Your OS version

Windows XP Pro SP3

2. Your Pro Tools version

8.0.3 cs1

3. LE or M-Powered?

HD2 Accel PCI-x

4. Which hardware you're using?

96 I/O (X2)

5. Do you have RTAS Error Suppression enabled or disabled?

Enabled.

6. What your buffer size is and if anything changes at higher/lower buffer sizes.

1024. (No change at higher / lower settings).

7. Which troubleshooting you've tried.

Trashed preferences, databases - the usual stuff.

8. Anything else you notice that may be relevant to the problem.

Was tracking for hours Friday night and Saturday, and in mid recording (late Saturday), the white noise bursts just kicked in out of nowhere. It had been working great prior to that.

9. Are you using the 8.03 standard drivers or the beta drivers?

Standard.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=264148&page=18

Specifically:

- What operating system?

8.0.3 is ONLY for Windows 7 (beta) and Snow Leopard.

For XP, VISTA and LEOPARD, 8.0.3 is NOT necessary and if you upgraded to 8.0.3, then you need the 8.0.3 CS1 -still need to confirm if this solves the problem fully or not-.

Any comments?

I read similar things about W7 - and it's true that the Digidesign site does say that 8.03 can be used with W7, but should be considered a beta under W7... it says nothing about being a beta for XP. And it says nothing about being unnecessary for XP users:

Administrator

Lightbulb Pro Tools 8.0.3 Updates for Windows (and Mac) Now Available

Available for download from the following page:

www.digidesign.com/download/pt803

Quote:

Pro Tools 8.0.3

Apparently there have been reports from users of every program (LE / HD / MP) on every supported platform and OS - IOW, Macs and PC's, LE, MP and HD systems...

If you're only recording one or two tracks at a time (as opposed to a dozen or so like I was doing the other day), then apparently the odds of it happening appear to be less. From what I recall, it has happened to various people on both 8.0.3 and 8.0.3 cs1. Heck, I've even ran into it a few times as early as 7.X, although I hadn't ever experienced the white noise bursts under PT HD 8 until now.

Check out the threads in the links I posted for more about what others have experienced and what systems they're using, or just go look around over in your favorite section of the DUC for a while - you're bound to come across a noise issue thread fairly quickly.

• Members

I don't honestly know Ken... as I said, I experienced it occasionally with 7.X but fairly infrequently. I had no issues with it from 8.0 -> 8.01cs3, but have with 8.0.3 cs1.

Thanks, Phil. I've seen threads where people have mentioned their tweeters being blown and that they were gonna have Digidesign pay for it and all sorts of things. Wow. Talk about a crappy "side effect".

Anyway, I have 10.5.8, and IIRC, the next step is Snow Leopard (10.6.x), which is necessary to run 8.0.3 and beyond, so I'm probably not going to upgrade any time soon, and certainly not until things are resolved.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Digidesign released an update yesterday (version 8.0.3 cs2). I have been testing this version for a little over a week, and I have not had any instances of white noise bursts during that entire time. It is therefore a huge improvement over 8.0.3 cs1, and quite possibly, a complete "fix" for the white noise issue. I would highly recommend it for anyone who is currently running 8.0.3 cs1.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=270688

• Members

I'm still on 8.0 - never updated any after that because it hasn't been giving me any problems. The whole white noise blast thing has me pretty nervous, though, and has made me realize that I have no limiting in my monitoring chain. I'm thinking about picking up a decent hardware limiter to put on the output of the Rosetta 200 so any sort of blast from the computer gets caught before getting to monitors or headphones. Of course, that wouldn't catch it if I had extra headphone mixes going on the outputs from the 002 Rack... Hm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived