Kick drum microphones...

• Moderators

At risk of pointing out the obvious. Tuning is the key. I've got a much better sound since investing in a Tama Tension Watch and learning how to use it.

Yeah. I've got a Drum Dial. Same idea I believe. Measures the tension of the head and not the bolt. I had a very good drummer over and he had a brand new top of the line Yamaha kit. The guy knows how tune drums very well. The kit was singing.

Out of curiosity though, he wanted to try my Drum Dial on his new floor tom just to see how that would compare to his ear.

Dooooommmmmmm. He was dumbfounded. Proper tuning can make crap drums sound good, and make excellent drums sound orgasmic.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Rode NTK is pretty decent outside of a kick, and it's really good IMHO on upright bass. I've used that pretty much exclusively for all of the bass tracking on Jules Day's stuff, and I've been happy with how it works in that application. But if I am going to put a mic on a bass amp cabinet (and I'm not someplace that has a U47FET), the first thing I normally reach for is the RE20.

Once again, I have not had good results with my RE20 on upright bass.

I have much better luck with an AT4047. I haven't tried the 4047 on a kick, but that may be an option also.

Once again, I have not had good results with my RE20 on upright bass.

I have much better luck with an AT4047. I haven't tried the 4047 on a kick, but that may be an option also.

Once again, for clarification, I wasn't suggesting the RE20 for upright bass; rather, for bass amps. :) The NTK does work well IMHO on upright.

• Members

I've tried the 4047 on kick, sort of a poor man's U47..and i definitely qualify. through a tube preamp it's sort of cool.

hey Phil, how was Henry R to mic up? did you use your drums or his?

the Heil 40 has been great for upright, and very nice mic'ing bass amps. in my live sound work i sometimes just go with the Heil in case of ground loops or direct preamp weirdnesses..

• Members

FWIW got the mics today. Pulled out my BD and retuned it. It's been in the closet for a while and I had loosened the heads before leaving it there. Didn't set up the whole kit either.

But yeah the D6 is right up my alley. IMO the lows are almost too low lol. It is nice though. I set it up in the hole of the reso head just sticking through an inch or so. Left it there. After hearing it back decided I'll play with location later. It sounded great right there.

Plugged in the D4 stuck it about 2 inches from the front head just off to one side. Nice fat smooth sound. Balanced and I'm sure with a touch of eq could sound very similar to the D6 or taken pretty much just as is for styles that need a more traditional sound. For kicks I placed it on the batter side pointing at where the batter strikes the head. Sounded very similar to the front but with more attack as expected. Not something I would do often but just trying something different.

I also for kicks tried some spoken word through them (I do a gaming podcast on the side ;) ). The D4 seemed rather smooth in flat for this also. Would def use for this. For kicks I grabbed the D6 knowing it has seriously scooped mids. Figured this is probably going to sound funny but.......... WOW!!!! Seriously this thing gave me that big radio announcer voice. I ended up plugging it into my Grace pre as I needed quite a bit of gain to get a decent level, but man was I surprised. I read a review where the reviewer said he took off the grill expecting to see a little sound guy with a mixer tweaking away. Kinda had the same thoughts after hearing me through it, but I'd already inspected it as soon as I got it out of the box just to make sure everything looked okay. Anywho just wanted to post my initial impressions.

• Members

I use that mic too exclusively for that. Sometimes I stick a Korby FET on the outside of the blowhole for bigness. What pre's do you use?

Usually the Neve Portico.

Other mic preamps I have are the Peavey VMP-2 or the FMR RNPs, so I usually use the Neve Portico. How 'bout you?

• Members

I'm surprised- nobody uses an SM-91- and it's probably on 95% of everything I record here! Well, it just happened to be in a collection of mics that some friends gave me, and it seems to work really well. Anyone else use this thing?

• Members

I'm surprised- nobody uses an SM-91- and it's probably on 95% of everything I record here! Well, it just happened to be in a collection of mics that some friends gave me, and it seems to work really well. Anyone else use this thing?

I've used one live a couple of times. It sounded good. :) But I've never used it in the studio.

• Members

I have some very similar Shure 891's. Here's what Shure has to say about them...

Question I just acquired a pair of 819LPS mics and have a couple of questions.

These appear to be very similar in design to the Beta 91's although I beleive the intended purpose is a bit different. Judging by the datasheets it appears that the 819's and 91's have a similar mic element. The 819 was stated as having a permanent low-cut filter which would account for it's rolled off bass response. Am I correct in assuming that these are very similar mics with just a slight difference in the internal preamp?

Also...is the pinout on the output connector the same as a standard XLR? If I get a "QG" connector and wire it like a standard XLR (to a XLR-M) will it interface properly with a mic pre? trnsp.gif Answer The 819 used the same cartridge as the SM91. The Beta 91 uses a completely different and new cartridge.

The pin out of the Tini-QG connector on the 819 is not the same as an XLR, and it cannot be plugged directly into a mixer. You must use the preamp that was supplied with the 819. The 891's I got were from an old teleconferencing setup. I've been meaning to try them on kick, just for...umm... kicks.

• Members

I've used a 91 several times "live" with excellent results. That and a Beta 52 are my go-to kick mics.

• Members

I use an Audix D6 in conjunction with an AT4040 most of the time, with the D6 a couple of inches from the beater, and the AT4040 about 3 feet out front. I like the D6, but don't love it. I'm really not much of a fan of the Shure Beta 52 or the D112 and prefer the Audix D6 to these in most instances, but probably only because it takes a bit less EQ'ing to get the sound I want most of the time out of the D6 than it does with the other two.

Lately, I've been using a Heil PR40 for the kick. Good meaty punchy sort of sound.

I'm seriously considering buying a PR40; I've heard great things about them, and love clips I've heard of them on kicks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived