"Analog Tape"

• Members

I just smiled and nodded. I didn't feel like being the dick who called them out. Although since then I have consistently been the dick who has made fun of them everywhere.

It was definitely hilarious because they kept going ON AND ON about how much better tape was than "pro tools." I guess they didn't notice their "TAPE" could easily be mistaken as someones collection of Golden Girls episodes they recorded off of the TV in 1986.

It was one of those "We're producing our own record" kind of deals. But they had a dude there overseeing it. I think he was the genesis of telling them that it was analog "tape." Making him the original idiot. They just got the trickle down stupidity.

• Members

I visited some friends in the studio today. They were talking about how they were recording to tape and how warm and awesome it sounded. I got to the studio and they had 2 very old ADATs they were recording on.

"And we're using the original blackface ADATs for that cool vintage analog sound. Yeah, yeah, hit that tape hard, get that great tape saturation the blackface ADATS were so good at, yeah. Much better than the later models, yeah..." :D

• Members

In late 1993 I had to choose between buying a blackface ADAT and a Tascam 388 for my home studio. At the time I didn't quite understand the difference - since both used "tape". HA! I went with the 388 purely for economics - It had the mixer built in so there was nothing else to buy except tape.

All I can say is thank the gods I made that move. I burned hundreds of reels of tape, had fun and learned a bunch about recording. Best thing is: every single tape still plays and sounds as good today as it did the day I recorded it.

That machine is a beast though. HA!

• Members

I visited some friends in the studio today. They were talking about how they were recording to tape and how warm and awesome it sounded. I got to the studio and they had 2 very old ADATs they were recording on.

I laughed.

Brandon-

Too funny! :lol:

• Members

A Maxell cassette probably sounds better than an old ADAT.
:)

You are dissin them pretty hard. Have you ever recorded to one? I have done many excellent recordings with them and know quite a few professionals in Nashville that made many albums on them back in the day. I have heard way worse HD sessions.

• Members

I think a lot of people associate the sound of an ADAT with the original blackface, which sounded seriously awful. In that case, Maxell tape, which were at one point loaded into the Akai MG1214 12-track multitrack tapes, did indeed sound better. Leaps and bounds better.

BTW, I've done sessions on blackface ADATs that came out well. But it definitely was not because of their converters.

• Members

I laughed.

Brandon-

Did you ever get the geographical equalizer request?

My fav is the client, and this has happened I bet a dozen times to me, who is booking time and they are saying things like "well the song is 3 minutes long so I guess I'll only need about 4 minutes"!

Some aren't as bad as that but they think they will record 5 or 6 songs in an hour.

Archived