Adobe Audition playback issues

• Members

Hi I am having issues with playback when there is a whole bunch of real-time effects active. The sound breaks up. If i turn off all the real-time effects the sound goes back to normal. I'm using an M-Audio Delta Sound Card.

Is there a way to remedy this? (without turning off the real-time effects?

I was using Audition 2, now onto 3. Same issue happening.

• Members

My M-Audio cards do the same thing as does any interface when you overload effects. I should say it has nothing to do with the cards though, its all in bus/CPU/drive/communication speed of your computer not the card other than setting up the proper latency settings for the card.

I use Sonar that has a resource meter at the bottom and it tells you when you're reaching the limit. Exceed it and the program stopd playing with an overload warning or eventually it crashes or freezes the program.

As brandon said most daws let you apply/write the effect to the track then you lessen the load. Of course you wont be able to tweak them anymore once written to the track so you want to be sure the setting you have is what you want when applying. The way I do it is use the plug on a track and when I'm sure its what I want I set up a preset then find the prerset when applying it to the track. (sonar is non destructive and most others will allow this by renameing the song and work with a copy vs the original so you can go back and work with the original if you really mess up.

Beyond that optimising the computer for recording, shutting off or removing network cards, unused programs, shutting down unnessasary services helps too. Google "Optimising computer for recording" and visit "Black Viper" for more on this. You can also adjust the latency up and sometimes get more horsepower freed up. If optimising doesnt work you just need a better computer.

Lastly, the question that should have been asked first is why is your tracking so bad that you Need to have so many plugins in the first place. If you're needing to EQ say guitar, try EQing the amp before you record so you dont need to EQ the crap out of it later. If you're having to compress bass, get a hardware compressor or limiter and run the bass through that when tracking.

Do everything you can to improve tracking. Mics, amps, room, etc to avoid having to use plugs after the fact, and you'll find vast improvements in the overall quality with the tracks. I've gotten to the point where I require very few plugs if any using the same cards. Plugins definately have their uses as tools but they have just as many limitations and tradeoffs too. Good luck.

• Members

IIRC right clickthe track and choose to freeze it. If that isn't it search the help file and it'll pop right up.

This will essentially render out the audio to a bufferfile somewhere (so it doesn't actually change your source file).

If you need to make changes you will have to unfreeze the tracks first.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived