(MIA) Peavey Predator!

johnnyl80

• Members

I'm interested in them lately, they seem to be decent quality Strats for not much cash (I'm talkin' about the '80s-'90s MIA ones here)...

Anyone have one? What do you think about it? Needs upgrades? How does it compare to the various Fender and/or Squier Strats? Oh, and a pic would be really nice!;)

... Thanks!

• Members

I've had a Predator for about 14 years. I gave it to my 16 yo son.

I just put in a SD JB Jr. PUP in the bridge because I always thought the original SC PUP was shrill and icepick.

The new JB Jr. sounds awesome. It is beefy and full like a humbucker should sound. It really growls! This is what I call a good PUP for classic rock.

The neck and middle PUP's are decent. They produce a typical strat sound. They are good for blues and blues rock.

If I ever get around to it, I will wire a tone pot to the bridge.

• Members

Originally posted by johnnylove

I'm interested in them lately, they seem to be decent quality Strats for not much cash (I'm talkin' about the '80s-'90s MIA ones here)...

Anyone have one? What do you think about it? Needs upgrades? How does it compare to the various Fender and/or Squier Strats? Oh, and a pic would be really nice!
;)
... Thanks!

Mine needed a tuner upgrade. the stock tuners really were {censored}.....loose as hell. other than that, the guitar is ace.

esp. for around $100 :thu:

my.php?image=92peaveypredatorrp7.jpg

• Members

I noticed in an old buyers guide that the Predators had an MSRP that was about a hundred bucks less than its tele cousin, the Reactor. I don't know why.

But that aside, I think it's safe to say that these entry level Peaveys were a better made guitar than the price comparable Squiers of that day.

I have the Reactor myself and find it to be a decent guitar. The pickups aren't great and not bad. The worst part, as mentioned above, are the tuners which are a bit chunky and not too precise.

Since they were inexpensive and Made in the USA (a truly extinct phenomena) I think they are a decent investment.

I talked a friend at work into buying a used Predator from Elderly. He managed to get one in good shape with a HS case for only $165.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by RUExp?

I love that green. Did you paint that? And what about the matching pickguard?

its actually Krylon Mystic color changing paint. I sanded the body down to bare wood, ordered a fat strat pickguard and cut the middle pickup hole, scuffed up the pickguard, and then sprayed it with the can.

Picture002.jpg

heres the last mod i did, the xlr jack and ignition switch

stratmod.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by CreamTele

haha no they turn on when the pickup is on, and turn off when its off

Yeah... but... but... I guess I don't get it. The LEDs let you know which pickup(s) is turned on and what postitions the switches are in... Wouldn't you know what directions the switches are flipped? I mean, I guess on a completely dark stage, they'd be handy but then every guitarist in the audience would be like, 'Hey... that dude's UFO guitar is glowing!'

Still, I think that green is kinda sweet in a kinda scary way. I'd have been all over it for $70... even without the HSC.

• Members

Originally posted by CreamTele

its actually Krylon Mystic color changing paint. I sanded the body down to bare wood, ordered a fat strat pickguard and cut the middle pickup hole, scuffed up the pickguard, and then sprayed it with the can.

Picture002.jpg
heres the last mod i did, the xlr jack and ignition switch

stratmod.jpg

that is truely badass :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by cratz2

Yeah... but... but... I guess I don't get it. The LEDs let you know which pickup(s) is turned on and what postitions the switches are in... Wouldn't you know what directions the switches are flipped? I mean, I guess on a completely dark stage, they'd be handy but then every guitarist in the audience would be like, 'Hey... that dude's UFO guitar is glowing!'

Still, I think that green is kinda sweet in a kinda scary way. I'd have been all over it for $70... even without the HSC.

theyre really just for bull{censored} cuz my friend told me to do it. yes you would probably know, but they look cool anyways:cry:

Archived