Warmoth copy of Trey's Guitar?

tommy_is_here

• Members

Hey Everyone,

I fell in love with the tone of Trey Anastasio's guitar, built by Paul Languedoc:

http://www.languedocguitars.com/faq/

I am trying to approximate this with a Warmoth made guitar. Here are the specs I have so far on paper:

Start, hollow body - alder or maple

Neck - maple/rosewood

Pickups - 59' Hum, not sure about singles (ideas?)

probably maple top.

Jumbo SS frets

I definitely want to make a Warmoth; what do you think of the above set up?

Close enough approximation? What about the body type: you think I should go Alder or Maple? Any other suggestions are most welcome!

Cheers,

Tommy

• Members

Originally posted by tommy_is_here

Hey Everyone,

I fell in love with the tone of Trey Anastasio's guitar, built by Paul Languedoc:

I am trying to approximate this with a Warmoth made guitar. Here are the specs I have so far on paper:

Start, hollow body - alder or maple

Neck - maple/rosewood

Pickups - 59' Hum, not sure about singles

probably maple top.

Jumbo SS frets

I definitely want to make a Warmoth; what do you think of the above set up?

Close enough approximation? What about the body type: you think I should go Alder or Maple? Any other suggestions are most welcome!

Cheers,

Tommy

does warmoth make chambered maple strats??? if so i would go for maple, thta would be a really unique guitar:cool:

I am actually building something very similiar through USAGC right now. i have a hollow swamp ash strat with a maple/ebony neck:cool: big SS frets too:thu: I am using voodoo single coils for it:love:

• Members

Yes they do make Maple bodies for the hollowbody stat option! I was settling on Alder (good ole faithful wood), but then noticed languedoc uses maple for the bodies, which should more closely and faithfully reproduce the tone sonically, and perhaps improve sustain (?)

I will check out the vodoo single coils? Do you think there's any danger in mixing pickup brands (ie. CD 59 and vodoos for the singles)

Cheers,

Tom

• Members

Originally posted by tommy_is_here

I will check out the vodoo single coils? Do you think there's any danger in mixing pickup brands (ie. CD 59 and vodoos for the singles)

Cheers,

Tom

no, i one of my strats i run voodoos on the neck and mid and a lil JB i the bridge:cool:

• Members

i'm not sure those specs will get you very close to the sound of his instrument...i'd think about it a little more

even then, i'm not sure warmoth produces any bodies that will get you close

your specs are leading you to a very bright sounding guitar, with the maple top, maple neck, stainless frets, strat body, etc...

• Members

interesting; I'm always a bit confused to tell you the truth when folks describe woods as 'bright' or 'warm'. I can never really correlate that to guitar sounds. (I'm a total novice)

What approach do you think would replicate Trey's guitar. I have heard a lot of things, some conflicting:

* you need a heavy instrument, with enough wood for resonance

* Pickups should SD 59s on both neck/bridge

* you need a hollowbody, but one with significant weight

* the maple top will help create the sustain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Tommy

• Members

Remember you're essentially building a wild beast. You'll need to route the volume and tone controls closer to the pickups so you can slide them with your fingers while playing.

Doesn't trey's guitar use bronze for some of the hardware? I think it may even have a bronze nut.

• Members

You might want to check out a Carvin Fatboy...

With the right combination of woods, you can probably get alot closer than with Warmouth.

Here's a link... www.carvin.com

Look under custom guitars and remember that they don't list all the options online. You have to call to find out what else they can do.

...and they may act stupid...

Aloha

• Members

I don't want to discourage you, this is a very intriguing little project and I'm curious to hear more, but you could replicate Trey's exact setup and you still won't sound like him. Just food for thought.

I always figured the biggest key to his sound was the small size of his semi-hollow, and thats what yields the sustain and near-instant feedback he can get from it. I hadn't thought about the density of the wood.

• Members

The only thing a Carvin Fatboy doesn't have from this list is:

An ebony trapeze tailpiece

Bronze saddles

Otherwise, I think it could work...

maple neck...check

ebony board...check

25.5 scale...check

maple or koa top...check

maple, alder, or mahogony body...check

Give it some thought; I have one and it definitely gets me in the ballpark.

Aloha

• Members

Originally posted by aloha

The only thing a Carvin Fatboy doesn't have from this list is:

An ebony trapeze tailpiece

Bronze saddles

Otherwise, I think it could work...

maple neck...check

ebony board...check

25.5 scale...check

maple or koa top...check

maple, alder, or mahogony body...check

Give it some thought; I have one and it definitely gets me in the ballpark.

Aloha

But the main thing that it doesn't have is full archtop hollowbody. The fatboy is a chambered guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by The Funk

But the main thing that it doesn't have is full archtop hollowbody. The fatboy is a chambered guitar.

Au contraire, my friend. There IS a full hollow version of the Fatboy. It just has twin support beams running across the top underneath, much like a standard archtop. A very cool concept, IMO. Look into it. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by The Funk

+1

If anybody knows of a cheap archtop hollowbody for the love of god let us know! Trey's a big reason I've been GASing for a hollowbody for a while, but I can never settle on anything.

• Members

I'm no Carvin fanboy, but I do feel the need to point out some common confusion concerning the Fatboy:

It may not be a carved archtop...

But it is fully hollow. I have one. The Fatboy is completely hollow. It's true it has a different kind of bracing, but the sound is there.

Also, the pickups that come standard on it may look funny, but sound very smooth and classic.

I looked on Carvin's page and realized that the specs aren't there anymore. If you ask on their discussion board, then you can get any of the other more specific questions answered.

Like I said, I have one. I can tell you this much...it sounds like a more modern variation on a classic archtop (which I've had in the past).

Give it some thought...

Aloha

• Members

I feel like I saw a builder that was making COPIES of the Languedoc. Someone posted it here awhile back, maybe there is a link? I think they were closer to $2000-3000. Expensive? Yes. But you are looking at a guitar that will be impossible to replicate without forking over some major cash.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

+1

If anybody knows of a cheap archtop hollowbody for the love of god let us know! Trey's a big reason I've been GASing for a hollowbody for a while, but I can never settle on anything.

What about a Warmoth L5S hollowbody?

• Members

Abyss makes some guitars that are very close to Paul's at a much more affordable price point ($2,000.00 or so). I'd definitely look into the Holdsworth Fatboy as well...maybe even consider the AE-185 (while not a true hollowbody, it has piezo electronics which when combined with the magnetics can yeild a fuller more archtop electric type sound).

But as mentioned about the gear being a small part of the equation, Trey could play a Fender '52 Tele Reissue and he'd still sound like himself after messing with te guitar and amp enough.

Archived