ARe any of the Ibanez stock pickups any good?

Hotrod Lincoln

• Members

It seems that no matter what model of guitar (except artist models that have Dimarzio's) that Ibanez makes, you folks rip out the stock pickups, or at least say they suck.

NOw I know that the Powersounds are pretty much garbage, but they are the lowest end of their spectrum as far as I know.

ARe the INFs any good? waht the AH?

• Moderators

Originally posted by IMA Rockstar

It seems that no matter what model of guitar (except artist models that have Dimarzio's) that Ibanez makes, you folks rip out the stock pickups, or at least say they suck.

NOw I know that the Powersounds are pretty much garbage, but they are the lowest end of their spectrum as far as I know.

ARe the INFs any good? waht the AH?

INFs are insipid and uninspiring. The neck Hb in the AM73 is pretty good;)

• Members

Only the Super '58s, but not the ones found on the Korean models because they're not the same as the ones found on the Japanese models. Ibanez used to have some good pickups on old models but nowadays they can't design pickups worth a damn.

I really don't get it, it's not like it's rocket science so why can't they make pickups that are not either muddy or thin. The Duncan/IBZ and DiMarzio/IBZ are also lacking IMO. For the prices Ibanez guitars go for they really should have real Duncans or DiMarzios.

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Well some higher end Ibanez guitars do come with Dimarzio pickups.

Nowadays most of them come with the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups which are not in my experience as good as "proper" DiMarzios. Ibanez really should fire whoever designs their pickups because he or she seems to have {censored} for ears. I really don't understand what was the point of using these "exclusive" pickups when there are tons of regular DiMarzio or Duncan models that are known to be good.

It really makes me wonder why so many manufacturers have poor stock pickups. It's not like it's an impossible task to make great sounding pickups even if they're not made by a famous brand. Out of my guitars most have Duncans because that's what they came with stock, but I've got a few that have the manufacturer's own pickups and those are perfectly fine. One of them is a cheap strat copy and I actually liked the no-name pickups in that more than the Duncan singlecoils in one of my other guitars.

• Members

And Dimarzio make their stock pickups too.

The v7 is pretty good the v8 is good for heavy stuff but does not clean up too well, which is why people often change it.

The prob is that most Ibanez are made with a single pickup option.

Strats for example, depending on where it was made, when. model, issue, time of day, flavour of coffee etc could have one of any 1,200,560, 009,088 pickup models.

• Members

I don't mind it. Even if some DID come with dimarzios someone is not gonna like those particular pickups.

So Ibanez just puts in cheaper ones to keep the price down, so you can buy whatever pickups you want.

I'd rather only pay once for Dimarzios.

As far as the V7/V8 pickups. I don't think those are made by Dimarzio. Only the Ibz/Dim ones are.

• Members

I don't mind it. Even if some DID come with dimarzios someone is not gonna like those particular pickups.

So Ibanez just puts in cheaper ones to keep the price down, so you can buy whatever pickups you want.

I'd rather only pay once for Dimarzios.

The problem is that the prices are not very low. I just checked and a RG1570 with those dreadful V-series pickups costs about 850

• Members

Originally posted by xupernaut

I can't see why don't offer better pickups in their mid priced models like Schecter/LTD. and a few other brands do.Its a major weak point in that price range.

I explained it above. To lower the price of the guitar with something most people will change anyhow.

• Moderators

I explained it above. To lower the price of the guitar with something most people will change anyhow.

This is pretty close to the truth.....seems to me that when some makers put a set of Seymour Duncans in as stock the price of the guitar becomes very much inflated over and above what the pickups alone cost. I think the range of people who buy Ibanezs is pretty vast and all require it to do summat different, so putting something thats good enough in makes sense, as that gives the option to swap in whatever flavour you like.

• Members

I don't understand the lack of respect towards the IBZ's.

In my experience, which although not as great as some, but, better then most, the IBZ's are a very good pickup. Not just for stock, but for any make.

They're dynamic and very flexable.

I just can't help but wonder sometimes if people don't try and over complicate things.

Always looking for a problem.

Always looking for a way to accentuate differences.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy what is already there.

• Moderators

Originally posted by GRAF

I just can't help but wonder sometimes if people don't try and over complicate things.

Always looking for a problem.

Always looking for a way to accentuate differences.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy what is already there.

IBZ is a tad generic.....my experience is with the IBZ INF1, 2 and S1 as found in an S470DX......no over complication, not really a problem, just pretty bland pickups, therefore I feel it is only best to make a good chunk of wood that looks nice and has some nice stuff on it sound as good as it looks....I achieved this with some GFS Fat PAFs and DiM single coil in the middle and the difference was astounding....I consider the S series much pleasanter a player than the RGs, I love their profile, look and neck, although wavy fret markers suck {censored}. But as it was there was no way to "sit back and enjoy" what was already there. I revel everytime I find a guitar that I dont feel like swapping pups out.

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

IBZ is a tad generic.....my experience is with the IBZ INF1, 2 and S1 as found in an S470DX......no over complication, not really a problem, just pretty bland pickups, therefore I feel it is only best to make a good chunk of wood that looks nice and has some nice stuff on it sound as good as it looks....I achieved this with some GFS Fat PAFs and DiM single coil in the middle and the difference was astounding....I consider the S series much pleasanter a player than the RGs, I love their profile, look and neck, although wavy fret markers suck shit. But as it was there was no way to "sit back and enjoy" what was already there. I revel everytime I find a guitar that I dont feel like swapping pups out.

Well, each to his own. Perhaps part of the respect I have towards the IBZ is they're "generic" tone. As you say. That is, it provides a nice solid base that I can dress up with pedals or amps.

Either way, all that matters to me is that you're happy with what you got.

So, if that took new pickups, then so be it.

:thu::cool:

• Moderators

Originally posted by GRAF

As you say. That is, it provides a nice solid base that I can dress up with pedals or amps.

These days I play with a Class A head, with 1 tone control and either a 1 x12 or 2 x 12 cab with Celestion Greenbacks...these are my effects.......every now and again I'll plug either a tube screamer or a bad monkey in, but rarely.

Archived