Sterling Audio ST69

• Members

Any experiences with the Sterling Audio ST69? I heard it was basically a Groove Tube mic.

I've guy my eye set on the ST69, Studio Projects T3 or maybe the MXL Genesis. I prefer having the multipattern of the first two but would consider a fixed Cardioid if the mic was that much more impressive. There isn't a lot of reviews or comparisons with the above mics to get a good idea so I turn to experience in usage..

I'm basically looking for a tube mic (hopefully with fig.8) as I don't have one. Any other suggestions up to and around the $500-800 mark would be helpful..!

Cheers.. Rimmer

My understanding is that the Sterling stuff was / is Groove Tubes stuff, but specifically made for the GC stores. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

I can ask the folks at Groove Tubes if you'd like. :)

I've never really used that particular model so I can't comment - other than to say that I do own a few Groove Tubes microphones, and they - along with their other models that I *have* heard / used - are generally solid performers.

• Members

Cheers guys.

It's a bit of a minefield out there. The MXL genesis has some pretty decent reviews but you'd have to add some dark glasses to the budget :facepalm:

The ST69 looks like it could be the ticket but there is so little info out there. It's not easy for me to test it out either.

I'm leaning towards a Rode NTK at the moment but the lack of pad and roll off is putting me off a little.

Tricky one.

Rimmer

• Members

Allow me to muddy the water a bit. Have you considered the Avantone CV-12? It is solidly in your price range, and it is RED. Way better than the MXL stuff that talkie toaster used on his seminal rap recording "So, You're a Waffle Man?"

Last time I was about to buy a mic the CV-12 was suggested by our own Phil. Based on all I could learn I was ready to buy one... then I bought a laptop instead. If I were going to spend $500 on a mic that's probably what I'd do.

• Members

Allow me to muddy the water a bit. Have you considered the Avantone CV-12? It is solidly in your price range, and it is RED. Way better than the MXL stuff that talkie toaster used on his seminal rap recording "So, You're a Waffle Man?"

Last time I was about to buy a mic the CV-12 was suggested by our own Phil. Based on all I could learn I was ready to buy one... then I bought a laptop instead. If I were going to spend $500 on a mic that's probably what I'd do.

Just spent quite some time investigating this mic. Looks pretty nice although there are a lot of 'Modding types' out there that seem to think modding some cheaper chinese mics gives the same performance.

I don't mind the idea of modifying stuff personally but if it's for the sake of saving $100-150 or so then i'm not sure i'm that bothered.

Cheers.. Rimmer

• Members

Mr. O'Keef uses his unmodded one even though he has more "recognized" mics in his locker. Just sayin...

But I may have a look for some of the discussion that you mention.

-ml

Yeah. Some of the guys have been discussing it on Gearslutz here. A pretty old thread though so it could be all wrong.

Again. All i'm bothered about is if it sounds good and is what I am looking for. A quality vox sound on a budget.

Cheers.. Rimmer

Archived