Increase String Tension w/o Higher String Guage

J.B. Lee

• Members
Originally posted by GuitslingerTim

not that you will ever admit you are wrong.

This is the main problem in this thread it seems.
I am not sure they know what we are referring to though, so in their mind, they ARE right.

Again, we aren't making it up. :wave:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Mighty Coogna!

Apparently physicists hate to be disagreed with - especially after invoking their math godz.

Again - we can just agree to disagree.

I offered that excuse for my less talented student to bring home to their parents by way of explanation for their lousy grades.
Willful math ignorance + personal anti-intellectual bias + arcane/inane gross misinterpretation of obvious measurable physical findings = D+ for "effort" ( so that I won't have to see them again in my class or lab). :)

:wave:

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

I offered that excuse for my less talented student to bring home to their parents by way of explanation for their lousy grades.

Willful math ignorance + personal anti-intellectual bias + arcane/inane gross misinterpretation of obvious measurable physical findings = D+ for "effort" ( so that I won't have to see them again in my class or lab).
:)

:wave:

I don't think it's necessary to be insulting.

I have as much experience with guitars as just about anyone. I expressed my findings, and you expressed yours. Let it go.

• Members
Originally posted by Mighty Coogna!

I don't think it's necessary to be insulting.

I have as much experience with guitars as just about anyone. I expressed my findings, and you expressed yours. Let it go.

'twas you who spat square in the face of the math gods, after which who are not wont to agree to disagree, sirrah. :(

D+ :wave:

• 13 years later...
  • Members

Tension is a sire is calculate as the total length of the wire from its static tension points. In the case of a guitar thisnis the total distance of the string from the body near the bridge to the tuning peg . This is where the total tensionnisncalculated from NOT the nut, the nut is a deflection in the oath of the wire which has it's own variable to calculate based on the angle, any deflection increases string tension provided the static points remain constant. Basically a longer total length will require greater tension to achieve pitch, which is why you see 7 string guitars coming with 26.5 scale now standard. It allows for much greater tension on the b string making it less muddy. It's also why a reverse headstock guitar makes more sense cause the lower string snare under more tension and the higher strings are easier to bend.. it's also why a Gibson with 24.75 scale is easy to bend.   I do load calculations on industrial stell cables weekly as a part of my job for reference.   The basic reason as it applies to physics that a heater string gauge has greater tension at the same potential winding is that there is more MASS under tension ( think of "tension" as "potential energy" ) and so has greater resistance to expansion 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I use my 25.5 scale length guitars ; my Fenders, Squires, Jacksons, Kramer's and other guitars .... I generally use 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46 for a more balance feel for my hands.

On my Gibson Flying V and Gibson LPC, It's 11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 48, just get some decent resistance.

But when it came to my Epiphone LPC, I had to switch up to a 12, 15, 19, 32, 42, 52, due to the fact that the headstock didn't go back as far as my Gibsons, even though they were all 24.75 scale length.

Archived