Increase String Tension w/o Higher String Guage

J.B. Lee

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Osmosis

excellent point that I had overlooked! Even if you change the scale length minutely by adjusting the neck, you'd have to rectify that change at the saddles to restore intonation (after all, the frets didn't move!), resulting in the same overall string length as before...

excellent post!

How's this? You loosen the nut, the strings are higher, and when you press down on the strings the note itself is higher because your adding more tension to the string by having to push it further. I'll give you ten to one that the 12th fret harmonic is exactly where it was before, but when you loosen the nut you'll have to lengthen the string due to this effect.

• Members
Originally posted by Mighty Coogna!

No we most certainly did not. What we found was that there are mathematical formulae which describe the theory, but fail to take into account all of the variables, as practical real world observation indicates.

:bor:

no. those of us with an understanding of physics and math ALSO have real world experience, and there's no conflict between them. you're allowing your fantasy explanations to distort your experiences so the two can be reconciled.

• Members

No we most certainly did not. What we found was that there are mathematical formulae which describe the theory, but fail to take into account all of the variables, as practical real world observation indicates.

You have a problem with terminology.

The mathematical formula IS the theory.

• Members

Originally posted by Bilbo

Do you notice a loose shaking piece of metal where the nut breaks the truss rod after you adjust your neck? You don't have a freaking clue. The variable is so minute as to be unappreciable. Just humbly admit your wrong and all is forgiven.

Well there are 4 or so other people saying the same thing. Why? We have experienced it.

Why would I lie to myself and say I was wrong?

Simple. I'm not.

The short answer: Th truss rod acts as a spring, a spring when compressed has inertia.

Inertia effects perceived string tension to some degree.

Best answer I've heard.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitslingerTim

You're forgetting one important factor in your grandiose factorialization--as a fingerboard is straightened the wood stretches slightly, resulting in an increase in the spacing between the frets, which causes an increase in string length.

The only way I know my necks need adjustment is when the action gets too stiff or too sloppy.

Indeed.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by jerry_picker

Madness.
:(

Lol!! You guys should delve less into theory and spend more time acquiring some hands on experience.

I'll explain it a different way--not that you will ever admit you are wrong.

Scale length is calculated as the distance from the nut, or edge of the fingerboard to the 12th fret times two. Introducing a curvature into the fingerboard will decrease the distance measured in a straight line from one end of the fingerboard to the other, which means the distance from the nut to 12th fret will be shorter also, effectively changing the scale length, and the tension in the strings.

• Members
Originally posted by GuitslingerTim

Lol!! You guys should delve less into theory and spend more time acquiring some hands on experience.

I'll explain it a different way--not that you will ever admit you are wrong.

Scale length is calculated as the distance from the nut, or edge of the fingerboard to the 12th fret times two. Introducing a curvature into the fingerboard will shorten the distance measured in a straight line from one end of the fingerboard to the other, which means the distance from the nut to 12th fret will be shorter also, effectively changing the scale length.

yeah - and how much, exactly? how much shorter does it get, and still be a playable instrument? cranking a truss rod around changes string pitch a couple cents, which tells you exactly how much tension change there is - negligible - and you honestly think you can feel that difference with something other than your imagination? you must be able to tune a piano just by feeling the strings, too. :rolleyes:

get a tensiometer, if you don't believe me, and take some measurements. maybe, with like 1/2" of relief on the neck, you might be able to see a significant difference in tension.

you assume people who disagree with you and back it up with math and physics don't have hands-on experience, and you're flat wrong about that. cling all you want to your misconceptions, but it doesn't change reality.

• Members
Originally posted by potaetoes

yeah - and how much, exactly? how much shorter does it get, and still be a playable instrument? cranking a truss rod around changes string pitch a couple cents, which tells you exactly how much tension change there is - negligible - and you honestly think you can feel that difference with something other than your imagination? you must be able to tune a piano just by feeling the strings, too.
:rolleyes:

get a tensiometer, if you don't believe me, and take some measurements. maybe, with like 1/2" of relief on the neck, you might be able to see a significant difference in tension.

you assume people who disagree with you and back it up with math and physics don't have hands-on experience, and you're flat wrong about that. cling all you want to your misconceptions, but it doesn't change reality.

(I have 35 years of playing experience, 50+ guitars, do my own set-ups, was a math major in college, and have a PhD in biophysics. Go figure...)

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

(I have 35 years of playing experience, 50+ guitars, do my own set-ups, was a math major in college, and have a PhD in biophysics. Go figure...)

(yeah... clearly you need more hands on experience to catch up to tim :rolleyes: all that edumacation is clouding your understanding)

• Members
Originally posted by 1esotericguy

What happened in here. Just put on 10's or 11's and be done. If the neck gets wacky, turn the truss. It's a Brownsville right? I'm not familiar with those I don't think. Is it the house brand at Sam Ashe? Either way, it'll survive a string change. Go for it!
:thu:
9's *^%$!

Eddie Van Halen uses 8s and he has great tone.

Archived