Increase String Tension w/o Higher String Guage

J.B. Lee

• Members
Originally posted by walt0915

This is the same as my point number 2 above. The difference is most guitar necks don't move much when you bend the strings, whereas some trems move quite a bit. Maybe your guitar is a POS?
:p
As for the sensitive hands - I don't want to hear any of that gay {censored}!
:eek:

The point was, you have a string attached to a spring and you have the neck with a "spring" inside it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Mighty Coogna!

Ok, example: Ever play a strat with a trem set to float Vrs. A hard-tail, vrs a trem set to rest against the body.

Same thing. Or do you not feel a difference in the tension of the strings when you bend notes?

:D

Got ya.

you just have to push the string farther when the trem is floating. there's no detectable difference in force to bend, and static tension is still the same. again, it's simple physics, which you obviously do not understand, because you're so attached to your imagined explanations.

• Members

The point was, you have a string attached to a spring and you have the neck with a "spring" inside it.

True, but irrelevant.

The string tension, as evidenced by its pitch, is still wholly determined by scale length and material (mass/length) of the string. Any coupled harmonic contributions of your two-spring problem are negligible.

Think about this. How much does the pitch of the string waver when you pluck it?

Also, the relative stiffness of the trussrod relative to the string means that the trussrod practically does not change in length once it reaches steady state (i.e., once your guitar is set up). If the trussrod actually did somehow impart its static tension directly onto the string, you would be led to the absurd conclusion that a stiffer trussrod would mean a higher tension on the strings (and that the absence of a trussrod would mean lax strings).

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

you just have to push the string farther when the trem is floating. there's no detectable difference in force to bend, and static tension is still the same. again, it's simple physics, which you obviously do not understand, because you're so attached to your imagined explanations.

Do you not grasp that there is little that is static about the instrument? that the set-up and "action" are quit fluid settings that require maintenance?

I don't doubt that the formulas are accurate, but they aren't completely relevant to the question.

• Members

Do you not grasp that there is little that is static about the instrument? that the set-up and "action" are quit fluid settings that require maintenance?

I don't doubt that the formulas are accurate, but they aren't completely relevant to the question.

Are you trolling? ;)

"Accuracy" is irrelevant here. This is about the definition of the term "tension", which is a mathematical definition.

If your perception does not fit with the definition, you cannot call it "tension" and expect to be understood in a discussion of the physics of guitar.

Simple.

(Just watch, Mighty Coogna will turn out to be a mechanical engineer who is effing with us.)

• Members

do you not grasp that your understanding of relevant system dynamics is grossly incomplete? you're talking out your ass, and i'm pretty sure you know it.

• Members

I got lost somewhere 2/3rds down page 1...

I vastly do not understand how you could change the tension with a fixed length and fixed guage without changing pitch.

Now I can see raising the action would cause more tension required to hit a clean note, but why make the thing unplayable?

As for the top winding, which I also do not understand, I should be able to look that up...

The simple answer for this guy and his new guitar is "put some 10s on it and see what you think" christ a new set is what $5? Hell they used to sell individuals when I was a kid...You can't discount that it'll fit just because it looks like it won't. Give it a shot.

• Members

You are just flapping your gums now. I think every one of us has acknowledged that the system is dynamic. What you refuse to admit is that the changes you are talking about don't have significant enough impact on the string tension to be considered a reasonable adjustment for that. And when you consider that the whole point of intonation adjustment is to guarantee that the string tension and length is right for the pitch you want the rest of it really just doesn't make sense.

Mmmm, this is getting boring. Point has been made, now the guy is just grasping at straws and turning into a troll.

• Members
Originally posted by walt0915

We shall argue no thread before its time!

LOL... that's agood one.

I only understood about 1/4 of this thread. Alls I understood, is that adjusting the relief won't change the tension enough for anybody to notice a difference... unless of course you have sensitive hands :rolleyes:.... and the only way to actuall change the tension, is to change strings... right?

*crosses fingers*

please say yes, please say yes.

• Members
Originally posted by L_Z_nut

LOL... that's agood one.

I only understood about 1/4 of this thread. Alls I understood, is that adjusting the relief won't change the tension enough for anybody to notice a difference... unless of course you have sensitive hands
:rolleyes:
.... and the only way to actuall change the tension, is to change strings... right?

*crosses fingers*

Yes - with caveats that need not be considered at the moment.

• Members
Originally posted by L_Z_nut

LOL... that's agood one.

I only understood about 1/4 of this thread. Alls I understood, is that adjusting the relief won't change the tension enough for anybody to notice a difference... unless of course you have sensitive hands
:rolleyes:
.... and the only way to actuall change the tension, is to change strings... right?

*crosses fingers*

No we most certainly did not. What we found was that there are mathematical formulae which describe the theory, but fail to take into account all of the variables, as practical real world observation indicates.

:bor:

Archived