What neck pickup can get me near the tone of weezer on the blue album?

krazy1912

• Members

Originally posted by krazy1912

can i get a p-90 from a 55 les paul jr.?

Probably, if you're willing to pay the price. Honestly, there are great after-market P-90s available today that you can get for relatively cheap. Check out Gibson, Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, or even GFS if you want to get super cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by veil

Probably, if you're willing to pay the price. Honestly, there are great after-market P-90s available today that you can get for relatively cheap. Check out Gibson, Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, or even GFS if you want to get super cheap.

thats what i was more interested in, do you know of any pups specifically?

• Members

The pickup is all fine and dandy but do you know...

1) THe type of amp he used

2) the settings on said amp

3) strings on guitar

4) Effects used

5) type of mic used to record

6) producer's recording settings

7) post recording tweaks and effects

8) size of room guitar was recorded in

9) type of acoustic damping in said room..if any

10) pickup and tone settings on guitar if any

etc...etc...etc...etc...etc....

Not trying to rain on your parade but a lot more than just the pickup and simple configurations constitute the overall sound on a recording.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by krazy1912

thats what i was more interested in, do you know of any pups specifically?

I would just go after a decently rated vintage-style P-90. P-90s are said to be pretty easy to make, so as long as you make sure you get a vintage-spec one (Dimarzio Soap Bar, Seymour Duncan SP90-1, and so on) you should pretty much get that kind of sound.

Rivers also spoke of using a guitar with a Dimarzio Super Distortion, and a Seymour Duncan '59 in it (weirdly enough, the same pickup combination I use).

As for that .22 you mentioned, I'm not so sure about that. He claimed to have used a mysterious Mesa head that might have been a Mark I. I haven't been there in years, but Weezer used to catalog all the gear they used on their website. Have you checked that out yet?

• Members

yhup the mesa is it.. if your gonna go with the mesa, and p90s your really trying to hit it head on (pretty sure he uses that same guitar for every weezer album).. if you just want ball park.. he switched to a marshall 30th anniversary head after that, and plays live with warmoth double fat strat copies..

i know his first one (the blue one, in part pictured in my avatar) had a 'trembucker 59' and a dimarzio superdistorion 2.. not sure what his other copies have.. but i dont think he would have a completely different tone for his backups.....and even more recently for at least one tour, they used pod pros through a PA...

so basically what im saying is.. get a humbuckers and a loud amp and you can jam weezer all day long sorry for the geeky info but they freaking rock :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by LoboR1

The pickup is all fine and dandy but do you know...

1) THe type of amp he used

2) the settings on said amp

3) strings on guitar

4) Effects used

5) type of mic used to record

6) producer's recording settings

7) post recording tweaks and effects

8) size of room guitar was recorded in

9) type of acoustic damping in said room..if any

10) pickup and tone settings on guitar if any

etc...etc...etc...etc...etc....

Not trying to rain on your parade but a lot more than just the pickup and simple configurations constitute the overall sound on a recording.

:wave:

all incredibly true. Most guitarists will never step inside a recording studio in their lifetime, and dont really understand this.

• Members

Originally posted by olgluefoot

yhup the mesa is it.. if your gonna go with the mesa, and p90s your really trying to hit it head on (pretty sure he uses that same guitar for every weezer album).. if you just want ball park.. he switched to a marshall 30th anniversary head after that, and plays live with warmoth double fat strat copies..

i know his first one (the blue one, in part pictured in my avatar) had a 'trembucker 59' and a dimarzio superdistorion 2.. not sure what his other copies have.. but i dont think he would have a completely different tone for his backups.....and even more recently for at least one tour, they used pod pros through a PA...

so basically what im saying is.. get a humbuckers and a loud amp and you can jam weezer all day long sorry for the geeky info but they freaking rock
:thu:

When I saw him live last year he used SGs exclusively, no other guitars.

When did he make the switch? I remember reading he used to go between Fenders and Gibsons, and finally settled on the Gibson SG.

Archived