looking for new audio interface

• Members

hey all, i have been working on getting my recording gear back into running status. I have encountered a major issue. I have 2 of the old presonus firepods that i've had for about 5 years. I am trying to get them to work on my laptop. The software and firmware updates went fine and installed ok. Now when i Power up the firepods, they sync up fine. then after a few minutes I get a blue screen of death. it notifies me of a hardware failure.

My question is, what audio interfaces should i look into getting. i want to have at least 16 mic pre's as i use the set up as my main inputs for my recording software. i'm looking to keep it around 1500 bucks to get two units, but if there is something out there in that price range for a single unit with 8 pre's that is of high quality, then that will work as well.

i prefer to have firewire connections as well for my computer.

thanks for all of your help. p.s. if you need any more info from me, just ask and i'll add in anything i can to help

• Members

anyone have any suggestions? i have been looking at the motu 896mk3, the motu 8pre, and the focusrite sapphire 40, as possibilies. i just don't know which of those would work well when running two of them at the same time, or even 3 or 4 in the future. any help or opinions would be spectacular :) but i do know i need to get something different from my firepods that i have now which i can't use anyway since they cause blue screens of death whenever they turn on. :(

• Members

Laptops do have connectivity limitations. My buddy uses a firepod and he's always having connectivity and driver issues. I believe its because of the PCMCIA card. Theres likely nothing wrong with the firepods, its more likely a card issue. I dont know if they have TX instrument Chips but that would be something top look at. If you just gou to another interface and the card is the issue, you'll be right back where you started from. You can also look at optimizing the laptop for recording and shutting off unnesasary programs/services and disableing unneeded hardware like network cards and USB ports. Check your hardware failure logs and see whats causing the crash. Then google the code and see if it relates to the card.

• Members

Well off the top of my head I'd look at something like the M-Audio 2626 and add 8 more pres via something like a Presonus Digimax FS. 16 channels with pres for easily under $1500. You can even add another Digimax for 8 more channels for a total of 24 pres if you wanted. Would bump your total over $1500 if buying new, but should be attainable if you look used. However there really are a lot of options out there in this price range.

BTW why are you wanting to daisy chain units? How much I/O do you want to have? There are units with even more total available I/O. You just might need some converters/pres to use it all. Also with NAMM right around the corner there may be something new showing up there that might meet your needs.

• Members

thanks for the advice everyone. i am looking for something with pre's built in because i am not wanting to spend a lot of money for mic pre's and then audio interfaces on top of that. I am looking to have 16-24 mic pres to have available for my recording setup. my firewire card does in fact have TI chipset in it. I read up on them on here before purchasing one. i have no issues using the firewire card with my external hard drive with a bunch of music on it. just when i turn on my firepods, they start up and sync up within 10 seconds, and within a couple minutes it throws a blue screen failure. i'll have to write down the code i get the next time i attempt to start them up and then search online for the real issue at hand. i'm looking

thanks again for all the advice and input. :)

• Members

For what your wanting I'd say either a M-Audio Profire 2626 or Presonus Firestudio 2626 (both are about $699 new, $500 used), and either a pair of Digimax FS's ($599 new, $400 used) or Digigmax D8's ($399 new) or one of each depending on how many outputs you need. The D8's don't have any additional outputs like the FS does. So if you have enough outs with the interface then you could just get the D8's and save some money.

If you bought all new you could get it for right at $1500 if the D8's work for you. If you need up to 16 line outs then that would raise the price by about $200 new, and if you needed 24 outs that would bump up the price another $200 for new. However as mentioned if you look around you could get it all used for less than $1500 with the FS's. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Mackie Onyx 1640i is extremely good value for money and will give you enough inputs, the big advantage of a mixer/interface like this is you can bus stems back out to it from your DAW and use it to sum the mix, in my experience you tend to get a nicer mix when it is done in the analog domain where volatges are being added together rather than a computer using an algorithm to do it.

Also, you've got a nice fully funtioning mixer if you ever need it for live work etc.

onyx1640.jpg

Another really good option that won't break the bank is a Focusrite saffire Pro 40 with an Octopre added to give you the extra 8 inputs. This will work out cheaper than the Mackie option but it is just an interface, you can't sum through it.

The build quality of these is very good and I would rather spend my own cash on a Pro 40 than any current Motu unit (they all seem to break these days).

pro40.png

octopre.png

You can only add 1 octopre via an ADAT connection but if you need more than 16 mic pres you can actually run up to 3 Pro 40s on one system and your computer will see them as a single interface.

Hope this is of some help :cool:

• Members

I've had great results with a PreSonus Firestudio Project, plus it comes with Studio One Artist, which is an awesome DAW software program (designed by ex-Cubase guys). I'd upgraded to Studio One Pro, but Artist is so good that it's almost not worth upgrading unless you need a mastering program as well.

• Members

What operating system does your pc use. Do you have the latest updates. If you are running Vista, and not updated properly that could be a bad match.I think win7 has more firewire driver options.

edit: regarding trying Presonus again, I don't no if it makes sense, but I did pick up a presonus Audiobox USB that also comes with Studio One Artist. In my opinon that is a no lose proposition because if you dont like the hardware you have some good software to work with.

• Members

he's using windows vista with 64 bit

there is really a chance to do windows updates first.

what i'm also not sure if the presonus firepods run with vista and 64bit.

plz check for windows updates and check if you downloaded/updated the correct driver software

also fun thing i use two presonus inspire to have 8 inputs on a laptop with windows xp (32bit). when i hook them up before the laptop is completely booted and i logged on, they never sync and i can't use them.

i need to reboot and start windows completely, and once it is started i can hook up my inspire and they work then really well.

just having one inspire makes no trouble if it is hooked up while booting, but two in cascade makes "troubles"

• Moderators

I agree wit the Onyx recomendation. At home I've got some nicer stuff, but my day gig is an Onyx 820i using the Firewire out straight into the PC for VO and it's great. I'd use one of those 16's with a kit and band tracking and be plenty happy. The gain is not real high but for most pop type recording it's plenty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived