affordable and reliable external HD for backup??

• Members

So my band is recording right now & our egineer said we should buy our own external hard drive for backup purposes for safety.

He runs a Mac with Snow Leopard. It only needs to be a USB HD since its just for backup (don't need ESATA or Firewire).

What is a good, but affordable external usb HD that is compatable for Snow Leopard. Something readily available too since I don't want to have to wait for it in the mail (either from target, the apple store, tiger direct).

Size we will need is 50 gigs.

Thanks!

• Members

Just about anything will do for backup purposes. You're paying mostly for the external enclosure. I've seen 2TB externals advertised as low as $89 recently, and you won't find the prices to get much lower simply by opting for lower capacity. In other words, you need a 50GB drive, but you won't find anything smaller than 250GB at most stores and certainly no cost benefit to selecting a smaller drive.

As far as the drives are concerned, I've had comparable results with both Seagate and Western Digital, and bought a WD 500GB USB for around $50 on sale a year ago. The enclosure will likely fail before the drive, and that's generally the weakest link. The only drives (internal components) that I've had bad luck with are Samsung and Hitachi, and even then, that's with constant daily use over a couple years or more.

Archived