acoustic guitar sound good?/bad?, and issues

• Members

Right now I'm recording my acoustic guitar using an Avid MobilePre interface with 2 signals in play. One is the direct signal from the L.R. Baggs Anthem system in my 1973 Yamaha FG-160. The other is a Shure Beta 57a placed about 4 inches from the soundhole. I've taken to blending the 2 together to get a nice full sound.

I ran into an issue experimenting with Ramble On. My tecnique with playing the riff has always been to strum all 6 strings pretty intensively with my right hand just going with Bonzo's drumbeat. However, the riff seems to get lost in the mix of the other open strings ringing out. I've posted 3 samples below so you can see what I'm talking about. One is the 2 signals blended together, and the others are the isolated channels by themselves.

I guess I'm asking how to get the same sound that Jimmy got (possibly easier said then done, right?) If I try to just keep my strumming to the strings utilized in the riff, it loses a lot of it's force that I really like about the song. Any advice to help would be appreciated.

EDIT: also, general critique on my guitar's sound would be nice. the samples don't have any compression, EQ, or reverb added yet, so maybe keep that in mind before you totally decimate them :D

Archived