Best way to clean monitor speaker cones?

• Members

Hey everyone. I'm just wondering what the best way to clean the cones on my BX5a's is as they've gotten pretty dusty (I've had them for several years). These are the first pair of "real" monitors that I've owned for any length of time and I have never cleaned them...I obviously don't want to damage them but do want to clean them up as it has gotten to be a fairly decent amount of dust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...

I do love Swiffers. They're great for dusting all kinds of things. :phil:

For the most part, I really do try to be gentle with the drivers on speakers. A very soft bristle nylon brush, or very soft horsehair brush to gently sweep away the dust from the cone, surround and dustcap is probably the best way to do it. I don't like the idea of using a vacuum - there's too much chance of catching the cone and pulling it out too far and damaging it, although if you have a very soft brush attachment, and are careful with it, you'll probably be fine. Whatever you do, don't push in hard on the speakers - soft dome tweeters are particularly delicate, but even doing something like sticking the vacuum hose into a speaker port can cause over-excursion damage to a woofer, so again, proceed with caution!

Archived