P90's in a Dano U2

jacobarber

• Members

I'm toying with the idea of sticking some inexpensive P90's in my Dano U2 (reproduction, of course). The stock lipsticks sound neat, but are incredibly weak sounding. I didn't want to just replace them with other lipsticks for some reason, and humbuckers/regular single coil pickups aren't appealing for this guitar either.

How do you fellas think the semi-hollow plywood & plastic construction will sound with a set of GFS Alinco P90's? They're inexpensive, so I'm not throwing an insane amount of money into this cheap guitar. Any suggestions. comments, or opinions on the idea?

• Members

Originally posted by jacobarber

I'm toying with the idea of sticking some inexpensive P90's in my Dano U2 (reproduction, of course). The stock lipsticks sound neat, but are incredibly weak sounding. I didn't want to just replace them with other lipsticks for some reason, and humbuckers/regular single coil pickups aren't appealing for this guitar either.

How do you fellas think the semi-hollow plywood & plastic construction will sound with a set of GFS Alinco P90's? They're inexpensive, so I'm not throwing an insane amount of money into this cheap guitar. Any suggestions. comments, or opinions on the idea?

I don't think the cutout sizes and mountings are the same

• Members

Originally posted by animl

I don't think the cutout sizes and mountings are the same

You are likely very correct, but anything is possible with enough time and effort. I am not all to concerned unless someone verifies that it would take hours of body modifications to fit the P90's in there

• Members

How would you anchor them? Maybe like this:

Dano is hollow masonite if I remember, with a plastic coating. Bolt on neck, right- not neck-thru? The old stuff was basic bolt-on and pretty inexpensive. I think that it's possible but takes a great deal of care in setting it up properly since masonite with a plastic coating can become brittle- more so than just regular wood. If the dog ear mount could just screw into the top surface it would hold I would think. The screw would have to run through the pup cover, attach to the pup chassis, then into the top. Feedback might become an issue with the higher output of the P-90 and the semi hollow body. I don't think a soapbar mount would work- those are sheet metal screws inside the pickup and you'd have nothing to screw into. The most feasible then would seem to go with a quality wood screw in Dogear mounts. You can work with the masonite/plastic mix, but it's somewhat brittle. If you crack the top it's trouble.

Be careful of the bridge anchor block too- you don't want to sink a screw that is half in the block and half floating in the top.

My two cents- but it's been awhile since working on one.

• Members

Its your guitar but I think its silly. The main charm, to me, with owning a Dano is the sweet tone of the lipsticks. They can get pretty nasty if you set your amp right.

• Members

You are likely very correct, but anything is possible with enough time and effort. I am not all to concerned unless someone verifies that it would take hours of body modifications to fit the P90's in there

It would take hours of modification to get them in there.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Its your guitar but I think its silly. The main charm, to me, with owning a Dano is the sweet tone of the lipsticks. They can get pretty nasty if you set your amp right.

Yes doable- but silly. Seems like a Les Paul Jr. is a better option at some point if you want the P-90 approach. The Lipstick tube pickups are one of my favorite elements of the Danelectros.

• Members

+++++

if you don't like the guitar sell it and get another, don't destroy it

• Members

Hey, the guy has a sound in his head that he's going for, and that's how all the innovations that we currently enjoy came about: someone said. "Hey, I like this, but what if...?"

But I love Danos just as they are, so I, too, would hate to see on carved up. How about this? Add a boost circuit to the bridge lipstick that you could toggle on and off?

No?

Okay.

• Members

bingo. The Dano is basically a crappy guitar that somehow gets cool tones. I would be loathe to change any of the parts in a guitar like that for fear of falling flat back in the mediocre range where it should not have left :)

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan Trevisol

I'm thinking you could mount GFS Pro Tube's right into the hole there with no mods, because they're thinner than Dano Tubes. They apparently have more output than stock Dano Tube pickups . . . might be a better shot than P-90's.

kent armstrong makes higher output lipstick pups that are direct replacements. going by the DC resistance, they're double the output. they're also RW/RP.

• Members

Dano lipsticks mount via 2 screws through the back of the body. They straddle a wooden block with some spongy stuff that acts like a spring allowing you to move the pup up and down via the screws.

P90's mount via screws through the top of the guitar.

Lipsticks are single-coil size, P90's tend to be wide - like a big, fat humbucker.

The 2 pups and their mounting systems are like apples and oranges. It could be done, but it would cost more in luthier time and materials than just ordering something from Rondo with P90's installed.

If you want to pump up your Dano, the better way would be to get a set of SD or Kent Armstrong RWRP after-market lipsticks. They are hotter and will humbucker so they will drive a high gain amp much better than a stock Dano.

My 2 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

kent armstrong makes higher output lipstick pups that are direct replacements. going by the DC resistance, they're double the output. they're also RW/RP.

You should talk to fellow forumite Vintage Clubber - www.MonsterToneGuitars.com - as he is a dealer for those pickups and really knows his stuff!

• Members

I would be doable, but it's gonna have feedback issues much like an old Harmony Rocket if cranked at all due to the construction. One reason Danos are so relatively well behaved for a cheap guitar at higher volumes is due to the wimpyness of the pickups.

Archived