Gfs P90

mrbrown49

• Members

Originally posted by mrbrown49

I am looking at getting some cheap HB sized p90s. Alot of people seem to like to the GFS pickups but they have a lot to choose.

Anybody have a favorite? I am looking for a sweet, round, clean tone.

GFS has 2 HB sized P90s: the Dream 90 and the Mean 90. What may be confusing you are all the cosmetic variations

The Dream 90 is their older product and is not internally built like a "real" P90. The Mean 90 follows the P90 design more closely and has a more accurate P90 tone.

Hopefully Jay can chime in with all the techical details.

I've used both and like both - but definitely prefer the Mean 90.

• Members
Originally posted by mrbrown49

great. Thanks for the info.

Have you used any of the "retrotron" series? They seem like they could also be an interesting thing to try.

Yup Liverpools in a Turser Maple SG copy. Love them too!

jtsgf01.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by animl

The Dream 90 is their older product and is not internally built like a "real" P90. The Mean 90 follows the P90 design more closely and has a more accurate P90 tone.

Hi there, animl . . .

. . . if the Mean 90 sounds more P90'ish, what does the Dream 90 sound like ,mimic ?
More 'bucker, or more S/C ?

I am looking for a "humbucker-size" true single coil !!! . . . :evil: . . . :evil: . . . :evil:

Any advice ?
;)

• Members
Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

Hi there, animl . . .

. . . if the Mean 90 sounds more P90'ish, what does the Dream 90 sound like ,mimic ?

More 'bucker, or more S/C ?

I am looking for a "humbucker-size" true single coil !!! . . .
:evil:
. . .
. . .

Any advice ?

;)

The best way I can describe the Dream 90 is the best qualities of a HB with the best qualities of a SC - bright yet thick

• Members
Originally posted by animl

Yup Liverpools in a Turser Maple SG copy. Love them too!

jtsgf01.jpg

Wow! Those look really nice in the SG! What kind of tones can you get from it? How does it sound clean?

I play out of an ampeg that has a wonderful clean channel, but my HBs just don't do it justice.

Archived