Can anyone hear any difference...

I'm on a break (doing a mix right now...) and I only had my MacBook speakers to listen to it with... I don't hear much of anything in terms of differences. I might if I was using decent speakers or cans. I'll check with some later when I'm done and let you know. :wave:

They're very similar; it's hard to do clean A/B switching on my laptop, but on a pair of Grado SR125i's, the first clip sounds a bit louder. :idk: In terms of compression, it's pretty light. Yes, the threshold is pretty low, but so is the ratio. Both clips actually sounded nice to me.

Is this something you're working on John? :)

• Members

They're very similar; it's hard to do clean A/B switching on my laptop, but on a pair of Grado SR125i's, the first clip sounds a bit louder.
:idk:
In terms of compression, it's pretty light. Yes, the threshold is pretty low, but so is the ratio. Both clips actually sounded nice to me.

Is this something you're working on John?
:)

Thanks Phil! This is from a "Rumblings" CD I'm working on. So far; Rumblings From the Grave, Rumblings From Outer Space, Rumblings From the Tsunami, and now Rumblings From the Rainforest.

I don't like using compression on a mix, but I use it on separate tracks when needed. Someone on another thread said it would be improved if I used 1.3:1 compression at -40db on the final mix. I didn't hear any difference. Though at 1:5:1 compression, I was told the reverb tails we're longer.

Now that I've had an expert's opinion, I'm not going to be concerned with it any longer.

Thanks, John :)

• Members

Didn't have time to compare, but very cool clip. I like it. :)

And after listening to the original, I'm not sure a 1.3 ratio will do much. You'd have to really tweak the attack and release to notice some differences. I think the original is cool. It has some nice dynamics without every going crazy. I kinda think leave it as it is.

• Members

Didn't have time to compare, but very cool clip. I like it.
:)

And after listening to the original, I'm not sure a 1.3 ratio will do much. You'd have to really tweak the attack and release to notice some differences. I think the original is cool. It has some nice dynamics without every going crazy. I kinda think leave it as it is.

Thanks CME! I decided to leave it as is. I really don't want to add global compression to my mixing chores anyway.

Best, John :)

• Members

Very similar. Some of the "white noise' effects come out more in the compressed version. Both sound good. Nice!

Thanks AI! Yeah, I imagine the "white noise" would be difficult for me to hear and analyze well (at my age).

John:cool:

Archived