Amp suggestions for two Yamaha NS-10MC

• Members

I'm looking to get a new amp for some NS-10MCs that were given to me. The current amp I have is broken and I can only use it in a bridged mono setup.

So what amp would you guys say I should get? I've seen a lot of talk about a Byrston 4b but I don't have $1000+ to spend. I'm looking for something more around $400. Keep in mind this is in a basement studio that probably has a terrible acoustics, so this doesn't have to be something amazing. I just want the best I can get for my money.

Thanks!

Whatever you do, don't under-power them. You need a fairly beefy (100-300W per side) power amp, but on a $400 budget. That probably means going used. Look around on your local Craigslist or ebay, and if you see something that looks interesting, come back and tell us what you found and we'll give you a yea or nay opinion on it. Maybe something like a Hafler P1500 (or better yet, P3000), Alesis RA-150, or a Crown DC-300. Yamaha and QSC make some decent amps too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Phil,

Thanks for the response, very helpful. I've been looking into the Alesis RA-150 and I'm finding a lot of them on ebay, however, the specs they are posting usually say a rated output of a RMS of 75 per channel @ 4ohms. (example http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALESIS-RA150-STUDIO-REFERENCE-POWER-AMP-2377-/140516230507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b76b856b) Is this what a RA-150 is supposed to say or are they trying to sell me a different product.

Also with the fuse protection that you suggested, so you mean that a fuse should be installed inside the monitor between the driver and the back or between the amp and the monitor itself? Do you have any kind of walk though that is available online it look at?

Thanks,

Archived