Band taking the proverbial?

• Members

I don't post here much but turn to you for advice..

I'm recording two bands (both feature the same members playing different instruments) as a favour, for free.. so I can use their facilities to record another band in the near future and make a bit of cash off the back of it. The now (.used to be mine.. long story) studio owner is a member of these two bands but is a 'hired gun' having only been in these bands for about 6 months..

I agreed to record these two bands as the studio owner/bassist guy wanted to concentrate on playing rather than the recording and mixing side, of which he has very little experience but is keen, and to keep an arms length away from the production aspect. He's now demanding that he be present for the mixing after I made it very clear that I mix on my own, at my own pace but am willing to use their notes as guides and tweak as and when I see fit.

I've worked with the guy before.. He busts my nuts, has little technical knowledge (yet maintains he knows what he's talking about) and I'm afraid that I'll get into a situation where i'm pandering to his mix where as I know I can do much better on my own.

What would you do?

• Members

I would just mix the thing,,, let them hear it and give their views. Then say , ok i am going to take it back in and re mix it taking their view into consideration. Then just mix the thing the way you feel it sounds the best. screw them , its a free deal. they get what you give them. dont put your name on anything that you feel sounds like crap. Those recordings will be around for a while ,, odds are this guy wont be in your life very long.

• Members

I would just mix the thing,,, let them hear it and give their views. Then say , ok i am going to take it back in and re mix it taking their view into consideration. Then just mix the thing the way you feel it sounds the best. screw them , its a free deal. they get what you give them. dont put your name on anything that you feel sounds like crap. Those recordings will be around for a while ,, odds are this guy wont be in your life very long.

That's fairly good advice- never compromise what you think sound best- unless they're paying you to do so!

I've had quite a few extra hours added to sessions where the band wants more "something" than I wanted to mix in (usually reverb and delay), only to have them go back to my first mix instincts.

"I tried to tell you..."

• Members

Great advice, guys. Thanks. They also decided to record 13 songs in total instead of 6 but they're more than aware I'm only putting the previous agreed time in to mix.. so mixing 13 songs in as much time I estimated it would take to do half that.

I think they've basically answered my question for me!

@gdoubleyou, we negotiated everything roughly 2 weeks prior to recording started now theres friction and minds being changed.. you know how bands are.

Archived