Longest lasting electric guitar strings (10-46)?

Jav

• Members

I haven't tried them all, but as far as non-coated strings go, D'Addarios aren't too bad. The electroplated plain strings are particularly long-lasting, but they're only available in five-packs for each gauge (e.g. a pack of 5 x 0.010"). Buy the six-pack full sets of nickel-plated strings in bulk and they work out quite cheap.

I found Ernie Balls to be the most rust-prone. I've seen their plain strings develop rusty spots after only 25 mins under my sweaty fingers.

• Members

Originally posted by One-armed Alec

I haven't tried them all, but as far as non-coated strings go, D'Addarios aren't too bad. The electroplated plain strings are particularly long-lasting, but they're only available in five-packs for each gauge (e.g. a pack of 5 x 0.010"). Buy the six-pack full sets of nickel-plated strings in bulk and they work out quite cheap.

I found Ernie Balls to be the most rust-prone. I've seen their plain strings develop rusty spots after only 25 mins under my sweaty fingers.

Funny...I have sweaty hands, but I've found that Ernie Ball's are much better than GHS Boomers for life, tone, and string breakage...and I was playing GHS's for a long time. A lot of it can be body composition (a famous example is Rory Gallagher's Strat...his sweat was so alkaline it wore straight through the finish of his guitar)

The main thing to remember is to WIPE DOWN YOUR STRINGS after every play...any string of any brand is going to rust and goop up if you don't do this. Do it immediately after you play...don't wait 10 or 15 minutes. Get underneath the string when you wipe them down, as well...and go string by string - not all at once.

I'm also a big fan of GHS Fast Fret as well...I find it works pretty well at keeping the strings a little slick, even on older strings.

• Members

Originally posted by
MojoFilter

Funny...I have sweaty hands, but I've found that Ernie Ball's are much better than GHS Boomers for life, tone, and string breakage...and I was playing GHS's for a long time. A lot of it can be body composition (a famous example is Rory Gallagher's Strat...his sweat was so alkaline it wore straight through the finish of his guitar)

The main thing to remember is to WIPE DOWN YOUR STRINGS after every play...any string of any brand is going to rust and goop up if you don't do this. Do it immediately after you play...don't wait 10 or 15 minutes. Get underneath the string when you wipe them down, as well...and go string by string - not all at once.

I'm also a big fan of GHS Fast Fret as well...I find it works pretty well at keeping the strings a little slick, even on older strings.

Yeah - individual chemistry has a lot to do with it. My skin excretions seem to have a particularly corrosive composition.

I've never tried GHS strings, but if you're saying that they're even easier-tarnished than Ernie Balls, then I can only imagine they'd disintegrate within fours bars of my playing :(. Nothing so far has come close to the D'Addario Electroplated plain steels for me.

I routinely wash my hands before playing and wipe my strings down after playing.

• Members

The trick here is one I discovered:

Stainless Steel. Less bright than nickel at the start but they hold tune quicker and are far more consistent in tone as they age. Much less vulnerable to sweat and flat spots too.

You pay a bit more, but they have a much better "performance curve".

D'addarios seem as good as any, though I suspect that most stainless stels are rebrands of the same thing, seeing as not so many are made.

• Members

my strings never corrode, and i never wipe em down afterwards. I must be blessed :o

I dont know how LaBella's regular strings are (I usually use GHS on my regular0strung guitars) but my Steinberger loves LaBella double ball strings :cool:

• Members

A pack of strings is like $4. I don't get what the big deal is. What is that, like $4 a month (or even less or possibly more depending on how often you change them).

I'd avoid coated strings, personally, for electrics. Sure they last 2-3 times long...but they cost 2-3 times as much. Plus, they feel funky and sound different.

I have been using Elixers on my acoustic though. That'll probably change once I finish off the free sets I got with my guitar.

• Members

My hands destroy strings. I recently switched to either Elixir Nano's or the DR coated strings. I think that the Elixir's sound marginally better but they cost about $5 more per pack too. The DR's last just as long but are ugly. They come in black, blue, red, and silver. Yes, all 6 strings! Interesting look but ugly and strange to play if you look at the strings while playing.

I find that the coated strings more than quadruple string life for me and my sweat so at double the cost, I am way ahead. I like the tone of newer to just broken in strings too.

Archived