LTD GUITARS - ARE THEY GOOD?

Cold Gin

• Members

Of the >$300 LTDs I've played, I've been pretty consistantly impressed. Of the ones in the $200 range, they are pretty decent, but I'd defiantely rather play a number of them and be able to pick the best.

Compared to Squiers and Epis... it's hard to compare. Squiers and Epis usually feel more vintage and if they have smooth frets that make for easy bends and a decently low action, I'm pretty happy. With the LTD, I'd lean towards wanting an even lower action, bigger frets and just generally a more 'metal' setup.

Overall, I'd say the LTDs are superior to most of the Epis in the

• Members

I used to own an MH-400 that was a fantastic guitar. If I had done the smart thing and bought the MH-400NT instead, I'd still have it. The only reason I sold it was because of the floating bridge. To me it seemed like a heavier version of my C-1 Classic with EMG 81's. And the C-1 Classic is my favorite guitar ever.

• Members

I've played the JH-600 and the ESP Hanneman. Though I like the Kahler, I think the JH-600 sounded better because it was a bit warmer in tone. And it really wasn't much different in quality than the real thing.

I love LTD's. I have a Viper 400, ESP H-302, and Xtone PC-1.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Randy G

Yeah, the abalone leads them into the realm of gaudy. Might as well wear a purple robe, pimp hat and walk with a jewel encrusted cane when playing them.

Don't make me turn my beeyotch's loose on yo' @ss!

• Members

they're like epiphones, the higher end models are going to be better than some of the others.

they might come in a variety of nut widths. otherwise, a friend of mine had 3 mid/late 90's ltd's, all with 1 11/16 nut width, medium frets, bolt-on necks.

i didnt get much time with them, i didnt think they were too special.

• Members

and how dare ya ask if they compare to squiers or epiphones :p

The mid 90s styles as mentioned above are a LOT different in quality than those that are being produced today. I would say the older LTDs are similar in quality to the current lower level LTDs (below the 400 range). Having said that, the current 400 and up models are GREAT guitars that wouldn't even be fair to compare to squiers or epiphone in most cases. The Eclipse and Viper might look like a Les Paul and SG but they're quite different in terms of tone. So even there you can't really compare the two brands.

Most use the 42mm nut width and have a thin-U neck profile with extra jumbo frets.

The main difference between LTD and ESP is that LTDs are made in another location and using lesser quality woods. That doesn't mean they're bad at all, it just means more is put into the standard and custom ESPs; just like any other shop. And FWIW, many many bands out there use LTDs on the road because they stand up to the road abuse and sound nice so the job gets done :)

mJ

Archived