good pickups for doom/stoner metal

• Members

Any recommendations?

Just a bridge pickup. Talking about like Electric Wizard, Church Of Misery, Sleep, Ufomammut, Warhorse, you know the drill.

I know Jus from EW uses a Super Distortion. I have one, and although I love it, I want a pickup with more punch, or something.

I once heard people talking about using p-90's for doom, and they were good?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I use an SG Classic with P90s, its pretty fuzzy under high gain and de-tuning though. I play through a Marshall DSL 100 half stack.

I don't really recommend p90s alone though, even though I love them for stoner rock.

SD Invader as mentioned, nice. Gibson pups tend to work well for this as well - my second guitar is an Epi LP Custom with a 500T/496R. Just look at what Wino plays -- lots of folks use standard LP pups and have a killer result.

SD Jazz/JB combo -- nope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by TheRedAndBlack

I heard some sound clips, and purchased a Bare Knuckle War Pig.

For $150, this thing better sound like fuckin' God.

excellent choice. Heard nothing but Raving reviews of Bare Knuckle!

let us know how they turn out to be!

• Members

You don't need anything hot.

A lot of people going after this sound are trying to get specific about it. You have to remember that this sound was forged by people who didn't have the money or resources to be obsessive about it.

The real stoner sounds come almost entirely from the amp's power section being driven to high hell. I've played with a lot of these bands (because I've been in a bunch), and its one of the few forms of rock that I've come across that the pickups don't matter as much, just as long as you got a raging power section behind you. preferably a dark sounding one.

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

You don't need anything hot.

A lot of people going after this sound are trying to get specific about it. You have to remember that this sound was forged by people who didn't have the money or resources to be obsessive about it.

The real stoner sounds come almost entirely from the amp's power section being driven to high hell. I've played with a lot of these bands (because I've been in a bunch), and its one of the few forms of rock that I've come across that the pickups don't matter as much, just as long as you got a raging power section behind you. preferably a dark sounding one.

good post!

• 2 weeks later...