Linux and Windows recording

• Members

So, I got passed my camera problems. Just went with Reaper then synced the audio and video afterwards. Thanks for all the tips last time :thu:

Now I have an actual recording question. Dad always buying cheap computer gear on ebay and surprised me with a laptop yesterday.

17inch screen, 1.83GHz Dual Core CPU, 1gig RAM, windows XP 32-bit. Nothing special.

I was thinking about putting some more RAM in it and maybe putting Linux(uses less power and is a favorite OS of mine).

My current recording rig is a desktop PC. 3GHz CPU, 8gigs RAM, windows 7 64bit, graphic cards in SLI, watercooled etc. It's more than enough for some of the programs and plugins I've read about that I might want to use.

1. What would be the disadvantages of using Linux+Reaper for recording?

2. If I do keep Windows XP on the laptop, will I be able to transfer my recording files to my PC with ease?

3. If I use Linux will I be able to transfer my recording files to my PC with ease?

I'm talking about midi and audio. I'm planning on recording and programming/sequencing drums with Superior drummer for example.

Let me know what you think.

• Members

1. I believe Lee Flier, who posts around here, uses Linux and Reaper for recording.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

The OS should have no effect on you transferring files (I'm assuming you're talking about WAV or AIFF files) elsewhere. I transfer these sorts of files between various computers, including Mac and PC, all the time.

• Members

While linux is a bit more efficient as an OS, you are still moving the same amount of DATA around when recording, so it really wont make a huge difference.

You wont be able to use your Windows vsts in linux.

I use ubuntu 10 on my netbook and it sees the xp drive just fine and can move files back and forth with no problem.

Get more ram. You can do a lot with older equipment but you HAVE to have ram to work with audio (1gb is just adequate to boot XP and run mediocre programs but will groan for audio/multimedia. Big difference with 2gb; even my 1.6ghz netbook is a viable vacation daw with 2gb of ram.)

• Members

You wont be able to use your Windows vsts in linux.

True. I forgot about this. Sounds like it would just be easier to keep windows on my laptop.

Everything but drums I record at my place so I'm kinda using the laptop as a mobile option for that purpose. I mean, would I need those vsts for drums on the spot?

• Members

Linix is going to limit your vst's and therefore limit your plugins to whatever reaper provides.

I have no idea why someone would want to limit themselves like that with all the great VST plugins available

out there, but thats your choice. Macs too have these limitations but they do have enough quality plugins and DAW programs to

make the platform a good recording enviornment.

Someone running a serious DAW wont be running Internet, Antivirus, nor any programs on their system that can limit the CPU power by consuming

resources. He will only run his Bare highly optimized OS and his audio. The OS is not an issue in that case recording. Its simply

there to run his audio programs.

• Members

I dont claim to know a fraction as much as some of the people who post in here but just from my experience running Reaper under Linux it wasnt worth it.The last time I messed around with Reaper and Linux was 1 1/2-2 years ago so maybe a lot has changed but I would get Jack x-runs left and right. I had gotten into at one point where i was compiling my own kernels for Debian for real time . Compiling WINE with asio support and all the libraries..I was compiling all the main apps like Ardour with VSt support,etc..Point is it was alot of work to get everything setup and running only for it to be buggy .But like i said that was like 1 1/2 years ago so i dont know how far things have come so far.I tried all the Linux versions that were made for audio.Studio 64,Ubuntu Studio,Arch,etc..

My opinion is you would be better of running a stripped down version of WinXP. Use Nlite to strip it down.I used a Nlite preset i got off Reaper forum and made a DAW WinXP version with it.

http://linuxmusicians.com/index.php?sid=30dae53d0a499e8e129b69f8e9388a38

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30162&highlight=nlite

Archived