Pro Tools Question about saving settings...

• Members

I have a dedicated drum setup with a dedicated mixer. I want to be able to use the same mix and plugin settings each time I record my drums into pro tools.

If I record the drum set with every fader set on default and no plugins and then mix everything to my liking can I re record the drums with those settings and still get the same exact mix? Or do I need to set everything at default again to record and go back and mix everything over?

If I do what is the easiest way to do this? THANKS

I am using PT 9

You want to use templates. The next time you create a session with all the tracks, names, routings and so forth that you normally want to start off with, save it as a template (file menu command). Then, the next time you create a new session, create the session using the template instead of creating a blank session and starting from scratch. You'll have all your favorite stuff there instantly and save considerable time. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Make sure you do the following steps when creating templates...

1. Save as Template

2. Re-open the Template

3. Delete all files... kind of annoying to have to delete the file every time

3. Re-save as a template

It may be tempting to delete the files as step 0, but don't do it. I lost some files that way when I first start using PT way back when. Man, I had one pissed off client.

• Members

If I record the drum set with every fader set on default and no plugins and then mix everything to my liking can I re record the drums with those settings and still get the same exact mix? Or do I need to set everything at default again to record and go back and mix everything over?

If I understand you correctly, assuming that your microphone configuration, general setup, the drummer, kit, etc. are the same and the guy plays it fairly similarly, all that, then yes, you can re-record the drums with those settings and use your previous mix and apply it towards your re-recorded drums. You do not need to set everything at default.

Like the others said, templates are your friend. Store your mix setup, making sure not to erase your audio files as groovezilla mentioned, as a template, and you can re-open that every time.

If you're truly paranoid about erasing the files, another method you can do is open up a new session (a blank session), import all of the session data (the tracks with plugins) but specify that you do not want the audio, then save that as a template.

• Members

Can you still set the template as a stationary pad on a Mac? I haven't messed with templates in while. Probably since osx 10.4 and PTLE 7.x, but if you can it would eliminate the possibility of deleting any audio. Don't know if there is anything similar on Windows or if this even still works on a mac. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I'll check later and post back if no one knows.

Make sure you do the following steps when creating templates...

1. Save as Template

2. Re-open the Template

3. Delete all files... kind of annoying to have to delete the file every time

3. Re-save as a template

It may be tempting to delete the files as step 0, but don't do it. I lost some files that way when I first start using PT way back when. Man, I had one pissed off client.

Good tip - thanks for posting that! :cool:

It almost bit me in the backside doing it that way once too, which is why I make it a point to create the session, set up the tracks and then save it as a template before I record anything at all. If I need to edit, add to, or revise the template later, it's easy to do.

Actually, more often than not these days, I start with some sort of previously created template and then modify it / re-save it as needed, but until you have created / accumulated enough of a custom template library for that, I recommend starting from scratch and creating the initial template for the band / project, and then saving it as a session, and as a template, before you do any recording.

If I haven't done it in advance (which I often do), I can usually have all of that stuff -- the session files created, complete with track layouts and labels, busses, headphone mix routing and documentation done before the band finishes loading in and setting up anyway, so it's usually a non-issue for me.

• Members

. Re-save as a template

A variation on this technique is to actually leave one file from the old session intact (undeleted). It should be the most complete, full-sounding, or otherwise representational of the session you based the template on.

That way, when you open the template for the new session, you can play a file immediately, and have playback sound coming through the system. Then you know about what you should hear once you start recording (and playing back) anew. You could delete the file then, if you like, or leave it for the next time.

Archived