I need help with recording with little to no gear...

• Members

Ok, I know it's possible to record with just your instruments and a computer, but I'm running into some trouble.

I'm recording on a budget. The type of budget where my car's gas guage is constantly hovering around E. All I have is a 5 year old computer and an outdated version of Adobe Audition (it's actually Cool Edit Pro 2). I have some amp sim software, and a copy of Izotope Ozone 4, and I've been able to get some decent recordings of the bass tracks and guitar tracks. For drums, I have a friend in Italy who records his tracks in a studio, then sends them to me, or I use EZDrummer. Where I'm having problems is in the vocals. A Shure PG48 stage mic is what I have for this. I realize that a lot of my problems are probably with the gear, but the finished songs are sounding almost worse than some of the recordings from the 1920s. Does anyone here have experience with any of these programs, and if so, do you have any tips for what to do? :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, I know it's possible to record with just your instruments and a computer, but I'm running into some trouble.

I'm recording on a budget. The type of budget where my car's gas guage is constantly hovering around E. All I have is a 5 year old computer and an outdated version of Adobe Audition (it's actually Cool Edit Pro 2). I have some amp sim software, and a copy of Izotope Ozone 4, and I've been able to get some decent recordings of the bass tracks and guitar tracks. For drums, I have a friend in Italy who records his tracks in a studio, then sends them to me, or I use EZDrummer. Where I'm having problems is in the vocals. A Shure PG48 stage mic is what I have for this. I realize that a lot of my problems are probably with the gear, but the finished songs are sounding almost worse than some of the recordings from the 1920s. Does anyone here have experience with any of these programs, and if so, do you have any tips for what to do?
:cry:

There were some great recordings from the 1920s!

How about you upload a recording and PM me the link to let me hear it.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 is an extremely versatile software, I still use it to this day in conjunction with other softwares that are newer. Izotope Ozone is also an extremely powerful mastering software, and version 4 lets you do almost anything. Are your recordings sounding worse AFTER you put them through ozone or do they sound that way already?

What are you feeding your instruments through? I used to record direct to the soundcard, and although it can sound shoddy, they can be fixed.

I am passionate about helping fellow musicians (especially poor ones) be resourceful with what little they have. PM me if you'd like to talk more privately.

Archived