Alesis iO Dock Demo: Recording Made Easy

• Members

I picked up an Alesis iO Dock about a week ago and I've totally impressed so far! To demo it I recorded a single take of the clean channel on my Two-Rock TS1. The clip covers a wide range of frequencies to show the quality of the recording one can get with an iPad 2 and the iO Dock. I used a DL4 looping trick for the background guitar, and the fading in/out was done with my foot via the mix knob on the DL4. I added a bass line in the GarageBand app, but there is no post editing to the recording of guitar. Towards the end of the vid I fade out the looper and bass line so you can just hear thr main progression. The chain used was my partscaster with Big Dipper PUPS, a Demeter Compressor, Empress Vintage Modified Super Delay, a Line 6 DL4, Hardwire RV-7, and an SM57 mic into the iO Dock. The best thing about the iO Dock is the setup... it's literally plug your iPad in, start your recording app, and then jam! No more "the recording process saps my creativity" excuses! lol

[video=youtube;XUUIAatv1sA]

• Members

Despite the naked toe

Haha! Now, where would the music industry be without a little show-n-tell? (Prob in a much better place lol.) I play barefoot so I can move the knobs and such on my pedals, but yeah... not my best look. :facepalm:

Thanks for the compliment btw. It's amazing what you can film with the 8mm app on the iPhone... makes me look like I know what I'm doing when I don't know anything about video production lol. And the iO Dock is a great funnel for capturing creativity for musicians like myself, who don't know jack about recording and can't afford to invest in a home studio. I'm loving it!!!!

• Members

I like the tone/sound of the guitar and the song. You used whatever mic preamps are on the Alesis iO, I'm guessing?

Thanks for the complement! Yeah, the iO Dock powered the SM57, and I used GarageBand to record it. The iO Dock doesn't have a hardware EQ built in. That's all done virtually with the apps you use, but I didn't do any post editing, add effects, or EQ this recording. What you hear is just the amp + the bass line that I added via GarageBand.

• Members

Have you tried a powered mic with the dock?

I've only tried the SM57. I don't know much about mics, but the iO Dock has phantom power, XLR inputs, and quarter inch inputs. I would think with all those options that any mic would work with it.

Archived